HWBOT Community Forums

The official MSI's hunt for 450 & 460 - OC Challenger thread.

tiborrr

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, but wont this just turn into who has the best cpu for vantage?

Not sure. With low-end cards, Vantage is mostly GPU limited. Maybe the SR-2 has an edge here, though ... not sure.

So to try and win a 460, you must enter with a 460?

That's one way to run a comp I guess

I'm pretty sure the GTS450 will be a better idea. It's about %OC in the non-extreme stage and from the looks of it, the GTS450 is very strong in that area :D

nope, I just calculated how much will a 975 score less than a 980x, keeping the same gpu score.

The result is that, with a 975 clocked at 5133mhz against a 980x clocked at 5ghz (so, SURELY all of these, even the worst), we would loose around 1.400 points on the total score.

We can't partecipate, this comp is for people with a 980x :)

nope, I just calculated how much will a 975 score less than a 980x, keeping the same gpu score.

The result is that, with a 975 clocked at 5133mhz against a 980x clocked at 5ghz (so, SURELY all of these, even the worst), we would loose around 1.400 points on the total score.

We can't partecipate, this comp is for people with a 980x :)

That's the wrong way of calculating.

Try to figure out how much more GPU score you need to beat a 5.5GHz 980X. Then figure out how much GPU power scales with GPU score.

In your calculation, you assume the clocks you have are the same. What kind of overclocking is that? :D

Yeah Pieter, I thought about that, I took a submission (I don't remember the user) with a 1.110+ MHz gpu at LN2...

There aren't so many 460s over 1,1ghz, so it's almost impossible to beat them unless having a vga with a 1300+mhz gpu :D

In 460 256bit category there are Hero, Icw33, ShockG, cowie and Lucky_noob all with vga@ln2, paired with a 980x... if only one of them joins with the 980x@phase and vga@ln2 as they already did, we're being blown away :D

if it's an answer to my point in some posts ago, yeah, it's about fun, and that is why we're not going to pay 250euros for a videocard with which we can't compete because of we haven't a 980x, it's better to buy something else, maybe for the next competition, who knows :)

The only chance is to do something with a cheaper gts450 :)

This week, we're going to put under ln2 our 8800gts320, we hope to have fun with it :D

Pieter, one last thing... in the non-extreme stage, the percentage calculation is based on gtx460/gts450 reference clocks or on the clocks of the version with which we play? so for example on a msi cyclone?

I would like to know this as well. My submission shows incorrect stock clocks.

I saw the first two results posted... but the percentages are calculated from a 750/950 reference clocks for the 460s.

Aren't the ref. clocks of the 460s, 675/900?

For the 450s they should be 783/900, shouldn't they?

Edited by |ron