HWBOT Community Forums

Futuremark announces changes to ORB

FM_Jarnis

We've made an announcement today about some changes that are coming to Futuremark ORB before the launch of the upcoming 3DMark 11. As a short summary, the key points are;

- Old ORB will be gone

- There will be a whole new system for submitting and browsing results, rewritten from scratch

- Support for legacy benchmarks will be retired

Full text can be found here: http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136472

Please post any feedback, comments or questions on the Futuremark forum thread or, if you prefer, email it to info [at] futuremark.com

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to a speedier ORB :).

Retiring support for the older benchmarks is a pity, though. Hardcore overclockers are still loving the 3DMark01 and I think it'll be around for a lot longer than anyone can estimate.

Maybe we can help out with that benchmark.

//EDIT: "those benchmarks" :)

I'm just the messenger here - I suggest you read the full announcement on FM forums and post your feedback there. It will be read, by the people who make the decisions.

What I posted is the current plan and the announcement of said plan was made well in advance so our community can give their feedback on this.

Release the validation process for the older versions to HWbot and other websites who wish to authenticate results instead of doing that yourself. The older 3DMark versions will maybe not be missed on the ORB as much as we'd miss being able to verify their validity for competition purposes on HWbot and other sites, whereever applicable.

Yes, I write like a junkie, chronical jetlag.

so how will the validation process of these benchmarks be done? Are you guys going to have to retire them?

This sucks:(

Not per definition.

There are always solution to problems. Hence why I'm trying to reach out to FM rather than start panicking, swearing or crying :D

Release the validation process for the older versions to HWbot and other websites who wish to authenticate results instead of doing that yourself. The older 3DMark versions will maybe not be missed on the ORB as much as we'd miss being able to verify their validity for competition purposes on HWbot and other sites, whereever applicable..

^^ +1 vote for this approach.

Release the validation process for the older versions to HWbot and other websites who wish to authenticate results instead of doing that yourself. The older 3DMark versions will maybe not be missed on the ORB as much as we'd miss being able to verify their validity for competition purposes on HWbot and other sites, whereever applicable.

This is a very good idea and I hope that they would consider it. There certainly is talent in our community that could make it work.

If FM will give hwbot the validation info, could it be possible that hwbot could dive deeper into the .3dr file for validation? This could eliminate some of the crying about hw sharing if the validation went as deep as FM did during the MSI comp. Just go that deep into all validations.

If FM will give hwbot the validation info, could it be possible that hwbot could dive deeper into the .3dr file for validation? This could eliminate some of the crying about hw sharing if the validation went as deep as FM did during the MSI comp. Just go that deep into all validations.

I think thats why fm are re-coding everything now to stop this but the old .3dr file doesn't contain enough info to do it.

FM was able to detect score sharing, not hardware sharing.

No software currently on the market is able to separate individual samples. Intel, AMD and Nvidia have software that can recognise on sample basis (eg: your 980X has different ID than mine), but for security reasons that software does not leave the company.

Also, I don't think people really grasp the consequences of companies such as Futuremark being able to detect what exact sample you're using. If any company is able to lay their hands on black-on-white evidence that you have killed your CPU by overclocking, thus voiding warrenty terms, you will see a lot of people getting their RMA ignored.

Obviously, when this would happen, people would complain about how evil corporations are again ...

FM was able to detect score sharing, not hardware sharing.

No software currently on the market is able to separate individual samples. Intel, AMD and Nvidia have software that can recognise on sample basis (eg: your 980X has different ID than mine), but for security reasons that software does not leave the company.

Not entirely true, but I'll leave it at that to avoid giving cheaters any pointers.

If FM can detect hardware sharing if given a nod towards which scores to look at, i'm all for it.

As for companies rejecting RMA for proven hardcore overclocking.... why should we ever complain? It's against warranty, we should take responsibility for our actions.

As for the OP itself, as I posted on XS, please can you answer the following:

Will this mean that people who use the free version of 3D05 will NOT be able to see their scores?

Will it still be possible to buy 3DMark05? (if there will be no support, I actually hope NOT)

Will all existing submitted scores be deleted?

(3D05 is the most important one here as 3D01 and 03 will show a score... ORB validation is a separate issue.

What is HWBots stance on using cracked copies of 3DM05 so that users can see their scores?

Do FM understand that this decision, as it stands, will mess with competitive benchmarking?

this actually isn't that supricing at all..

think about it, which company is willing to put money into an old product which they don't gain anything from anymore...its quite simple.

Anyway... removing scores and features of 3dmark 01/03/05 would really be sad for the overclocking community.. Ive no clue where the actuall cost are made at futuremark... but wouldnt it work just to remove the database (which i assume is the most expensive part?) and only have some sort of online validator left? ... like for example making it possible for users to validate, take a screenshot of it, and thats it.

anyway.. another reason for HWbot to also look for other nice benchmarks out there.

if you ask me, HWbot may as well start giving points for Heaven benchmark asap