HWBOT Community Forums

$4k gaming rig… overclock or not?

JHawk

I am looking to build a 3D gaming PC. I’d like to replace my entire system (PC, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse).

My question is would I have a more powerful PC if:

I bought less expensive ram/CPU/GPU and overclocked them with a single stage phase change system

OR

I just bought more expensive hardware with stock cooling?

To anyone who suggests the single stage option would you please list any vendors/individuals who sell them or link to a guide on building one if you have a favorite.

Thanks for any and all input. I appreciate it. Cheers!

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Why would you put it under phase? You're better off balancing the build. Phase is pointless for day-to-day stuff, to me anyway. You have all of the drawbacks such such a moisture which could ultimately wreck the system, and then you have things like pin rot to contend with too.

In my mind, get a water cooled system and be done with it. Any processor today is more than capable of pushing some of the most extreme of graphics set ups to their full potential.

Thanks TheMadDutchDude. I have been reading up a lot on overclocking with phase change over the past week and it seems very neat. I am a novice in terms of overclocking and realize phase change would be a ton of work but thought it might be worth it.

I have posted this same thread on other forums with similar responses as yours. The consensus seems to be hardware is currently more than capable without extreme overclocking and it's better to have a bit more to spend on better hardware.

As far as water cooled systems go I know I've seen closed loop for processors on newegg but I didn't come across any for video cards (haven't looked into them a ton yet). Do you have any suggestions for closed loop systems for nvidia cards or maybe a vendor who sells the cards with the systems already attached?

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Closed loop systems aren't all that great in my mind. Some prefer them as they then don't have a big chunk of metal hanging from their motherboard, but I've never had that issue. I quite like seeing a big power inside a build (none of my own these days).

If you're going to be spending that sort of money, perhaps a custom water cooling solution would be one way to go. They will provide much better temperatures, but of course they do cost more.

AIO units for graphics cards aren't really all that common as you have to cool the rest of the GPU too, which can't be done with just passive airflow on its own like a motherboard can. A fully custom loop would allow you to use full-cover blocks which would cool the card properly. :)

It is most definitely a good idea to spend more on better hardware than trying to clock "cheap" hardware further with more extreme measures.

Guest george.kokovinis
Closed loop systems aren't all that great in my mind. Some prefer them as they then don't have a big chunk of metal hanging from their motherboard, but I've never had that issue. I quite like seeing a big power inside a build (none of my own these days).

If you're going to be spending that sort of money, perhaps a custom water cooling solution would be one way to go. They will provide much better temperatures, but of course they do cost more.

AIO units for graphics cards aren't really all that common as you have to cool the rest of the GPU too, which can't be done with just passive airflow on its own like a motherboard can. A fully custom loop would allow you to use full-cover blocks which would cool the card properly. :)

It is most definitely a good idea to spend more on better hardware than trying to clock "cheap" hardware further with more extreme measures.

+1.

Totally agreed.

Let me add something that is very important and I understood while climbing the ladder. Lol...

Having a case with ample space ( see my sig ) AND a powerful custom water system, gives the user the necessary strong basis and flexibility to actually do anything ( besides LN2 of course ).

Solid basis is the culprit for expendability and flexibility.

15 years ago, Hipro5 used a Prometeia Mach II and I used a Vapochill XE II moded for -35.

Both on 478 socket, fighting with Prescotts 3.4 overclocked at 4.5 and above.

We both destroyed a couple of Asus P4C800-e deluxe boards and called it a day.

Phase change is very good for pretesting hardware prior to LN2 use.

Not for 24/7.

Bought two months ago a Dimastech evo unit. Installed it on my Z97, got about 5.7 from the 4790K, and removed it the next day.

Gosh, I must be really getting old.

After 10 hours of operation, I hated it so much, I wanted to throw it out of the window.

XSPC and EK waterblocks are your friends OP.

Check them out.

George:)