HWBOT Community Forums

Some high speed DDR3 - TridentX if poss...

Phill

I'm looking for some good ram for my Z97 OCF board, I've been looking at the higher speed kits from Gskill as I've had 6 kits of theirs already and not a problem so far..

Anything above 2400Mhz would be great, I'm only a light overclocker when it comes to HWBot benching but looking around the PSC kits are really asking high money which I don't want to waste as I won't be pushing the limits like most of you guys here!!

If anyone has anything of interest please drop me a line! Around £100 max posted is all I'm willing to go for, for an 8Gb kit (2 x 4Gb sticks) Been offered some 2800Mhz stuff for the same money...

Cheers!!

I have a very rare 4x4 2666 cl 10 G.skill with samsung Ic,not tested yet.

Willing to sell it for 370 euro,not including shipping and fees.

I also own a 2x4 gb 2600 cl 10 G.skill which does 2870 cl 9 at very tight settings for spi32m ,price- 160 euro.

attachment.php?attachmentid=132201&d=1418922591

Edited by suzuki

Guest TheMadDutchDude

DDR3 prices have been rising for a while now, Phill. They slowed the DDR3 production a long time ago to increase DDR4 production. The top end kits are (to my knowledge) barely being manufactured, or maybe not even at all, which is why the people with them can command a higher price. :D

I've been looking at a kit that's a 2800Mhz kit for a little under £100 instead of £150 new but I was wondering if this was a good buy. Failing that I would just buy a kit or two of the 2400Mhz that I already have and just get the best from them..

What would you suggest mate?

Guest TheMadDutchDude

There's a high chance that the kit you're looking at is MFR, which is **** for benching.

Honestly, the kit from suzuki looks good, the 2x4GB one. :)

It's only £20 more than you wanted to spend, hardly a tall order. I know your spending habits mate! :D

There's a high chance that the kit you're looking at is MFR, which is **** for benching.

Honestly, the kit from suzuki looks good, the 2x4GB one. :)

It's only £20 more than you wanted to spend, hardly a tall order. I know your spending habits mate! :D

Yeah but you know my type of benching lol I don't get the chance as it is!! But would it be worth trying to get a cheaper kit for messing around on or just grab some new 2400Mhz?

It's not about the MHz rating, it's about the chips in use. All 2800+ rated kits use Hynix MFR which is useless for performance and is only good for raw freqs.

I understand that there are different chips on the ram and that ram speeds mean little when overclocking is involved.. I remember having some Crucial Ballistix DDR2 that was rated for 533Mhz but that would run at 1200Mhz!!

Guest TheMadDutchDude

The RAM has changed since then, the cheap RAM actually performs bad and speed isn't everything.

It's only £20 Phill, go on. Do it. You know you want to. :D

It's a strong kit, and it will hold its value should you ever (pahahaha) decide to sell.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Nope, I have my own hardware. ;)

Wait until you see what's sitting in my room for when I get home. LOL. I went a bit mad.

ANYWAY. Back on topic. This is your wanted thread. :D

I have a very rare 4x4 2666 cl 10 G.skill with samsung Ic,not tested yet.

Willing to sell it for 370 euro,not including shipping and fees.

I also own a 2x4 gb 2600 cl 10 G.skill which does 2870 cl 9 at very tight settings for spi32m ,price- 160 euro.

attachment.php?attachmentid=132201&d=1418922591

With what volts did you manage it with??

Mate I've been trying to avoid paying out loads and even stopped myself buying a few Black Editions for my 4960X!! lol Toying with the new AMD GPUs...

Guest TheMadDutchDude

That'll be close to the 2v region for those speeds, it's most definitely not 24/7 material.

You actually didn't spend on something you don't need? Bull! I don't believe you mate. :D

Buy the 2x4gb kit offered. It is the droid you are looking for.

2v should be the standard on these kits. The fear people have of overvolting ram is irrational and based on a sticker intel stuck on boards 4 generations ago, and even then it was wrong. I don't use my Samsung kits under 1.8v and certainly not on xmp.

A kit like these is tweakable and rewarding.

I'll message suzuki and see if I can get some good results :)

I'm not sure that the ram speeds will help for 24/7 use but I don't think that I'd be using them like that :D

If you have any pointers for getting the best out of the ram kits, I'd be most grateful :)