HWBOT Community Forums

Single Stage dead??

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Did you happen to turn it off and back on within a short period of time or did it just stop and you've not turned it on again since?

I made the mistake of turning it on too soon after I turned it off and the fuse popped which is meant to happen. Maybe your fuse went, so check that first. :)

No mate it was running whilst i was switching a gpu out, like the compressor part stopped and the fan was still going. It was quiet for a change!!

I would of thought its pretty old now?? So something was bound to let go

If i connect mm on ohm setting to capacitor it drops to 0 and then starts to rise and keeps going??

Edited by nickolp1974

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I'm no electronics engineer but that doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps it has lost its charging ability.

Oh, I know, that rotary is ****ing loud. It performs like a beast though. :D

Hopefully someone else can help you here.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I think that one is 1hp too, but I don't remember. There should be a sticker on there somewhere if memory serves, but I could be mistaken.

Of course you can post links on here. :D

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Oh my, now you're asking! LOL. :D

It's within the electrics box, but I can't tell you where exactly. I think it's in the white junction box. I had to replace it once myself.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I honestly can't remember and I'm taking stabs in the dark here.

Try looking under the live terminal closest to the earth. I think it needs to be unscrewed.

I can't logically think where else it could be, but you may be able to spot it.

Perhaps a bit of resistance probing with your DMM will do the trick. Find out where the link is broken and base your search around that.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Whereabouts are you based, Nick? I assume further north like most overclockers.

Oh, new hardware? Do tell me more. :D

Also, add me on Skype. I assume you have it.

Based near Lincoln, have never used skype mate but never say never, got a lot to learn yet and want to keep pushing. ;) just grabbed an X58 platform to thrash, just building up my hardware before making the jump, thought about DICE but lewis reckons i'm not gonna gain much as far as cpu(SS) is concerned. Just need to get volt modding then i'm set to have a bash, just always hard work being a privateer funding everything. Dagmar has been very helpful in that respect regards hardware but i generally refuse as i dont like being responsible for other peoples stuff but i may borrow his dewar and of course knowledge ;)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Lewis is right, going from that phase to DICE is not worth it at all. I did it, and it was a waste of £70 on the DICE. :(

It's an expensive game, without any doubt. Even more so when you slaughter a GPU before you even use it.

Sounds like a plan. You're welcome to venture down to my place to have a day with LN2 if you wish. It's a long way down though.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Oh dear. How did that happen? :(

That's definitely the way to go. I bought a 780 Ti from Ian though so we will see what happens with that. :D

I am, yeah. I'll be back next week but I can't get any LN2 until the beginnining of April, unless Lewis can find another supplier as he wants to come down too. :)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I doubt static killed it, I think you're more likely to have severed a few traces that lay underneath the visible PCB.

Truly gutting and a great shame. You'll know better next time buddy. It hurts, doesn't it? :(

Nick, get Skype. Us three need to have a chat so we can organise a meet! :)