HWBOT Community Forums

Can't get OCZ golds to run dual channel on A88X-PRO

So I recently got a 3x2GB set of OCZ gold series RAM. Their rated at 1600 8-8-8-24-2T 1.65V. As far as I can tell they only have standard JEDEC tables and the 1600 spec is just on paper the RAM won't default to it in DOCP mode. I can get it to boot just fine running 1 or 2 sticks in channel A but 1 stick in A and B gives me only 2GB of RAM. If I try to boot 1 stick in channel B it won't boot at all always resetting on postcode 84. I'm not sure about the ICs but they are able to boot 2400 10-10-10-30 on 1.8V and don't seem to scale above 1.8V.

• Administrators

OCZ usually did not use XMP, so jedec is fine. If the sticks are dual sided, all is possible, OCZ used tons of different ICs on all specs. I would advise to test these on different system, 2400 10-10-10 might be Elpida or even Micron D9KPT on amd, or bad psc, trcd limits are much higher on amd than on Intel. If all sticks work in channel A, they should e OK technically, so problem is either compability or channel B is defective on board or cpu. So, test on other board/system, maybe you get results that tell you more about ics

Guest TheMadDutchDude

It sounds like a typical AMD issue. My guess is that sometimes the pins don't make proper contact in the socket and a few DIMMs lose their functionality. Reseat the CPU and make sure it is firmly in place. They should pop back into life.

OCZ usually did not use XMP, so jedec is fine. If the sticks are dual sided, all is possible, OCZ used tons of different ICs on all specs. I would advise to test these on different system, 2400 10-10-10 might be Elpida or even Micron D9KPT on amd, or bad psc, trcd limits are much higher on amd than on Intel. If all sticks work in channel A, they should e OK technically, so problem is either compability or channel B is defective on board or cpu. So, test on other board/system, maybe you get results that tell you more about ics

The board is fine it ran a really shoddy PSC kit up to 2300 9-12-11-28-1T on 1.85V in dual channel. Though this board's BIOS is completely incapable of setting subtimings for that kit so I had to do it all manually. Might be the reason why the OCZs have a problem. The sticks are double sided. I can also test them on my Rampage.

Too bad, but this can happen - at least it can give you hope that the OCZ work like they are supposed to do

See if the board was faulty I can just return it using the local law on no questions asked return when returned within 14 days of purchase. I still have some doubts about the CPU because I took really good care of this one and never gave the NB more than 1.36V(DMM). But at least I know the RAM is fine.

These APUs can be damaged with "excessive" VDIMM.

Not sure about newer FM2+ stuff (got rid of all APUs before it was released), but I remember The Stilt talking about something like 1.75V max for everyday use. Can't recall exact voltage though, sorry.

Personally I've used up to 1.85V with Samsung chips and APU on LN2.

These APUs can be damaged with "excessive" VDIMM.

Not sure about newer FM2+ stuff (got rid of all APUs before it was released), but I remember The Stilt talking about something like 1.75V max for everyday use. Can't recall exact voltage though, sorry.

Personally I've used up to 1.85V with Samsung chips and APU on LN2.

Dammit I was hoping that the IMC would be similar to the one on the FX chips which according to AMD can do 1.8V 24/7. Might need to try a 860K hopefully it's a little sturdier.