HWBOT Community Forums

Motherboard cleaning

filmbot

I have a board that I would like to remove previous vaseline in the socket area that is difficult to totally remove between the mosfets. Majority of it I removed with Acetone and a toothbrush but would like to remove completely.

Seems the best method I have came across is the dishwasher on very light load but worried about protecting the socket. You that have done it successfully is it enough to just use socket cover? Or something like stuffing with like Armaflex?

Also on the board is a cheap looking aftermarket piece of copper expoyed or super glued to the NB for cooling. Any suggestions on to remove without damage?

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I've used the dishwasher method, and it's perfect for removing Vaseline from the tight spots like that. Just remember to remove the CMOS battery to avoid any problems.

A socket protector is all I used, and the board functions just fine. :)

Dishwasher all the way!

I've used the dishwasher method, and it's perfect for removing Vaseline from the tight spots like that. Just remember to remove the CMOS battery to avoid any problems.

A socket protector is all I used, and the board functions just fine. :)

Thanks for the reply guys!

Assume using a "delicate" cycle if possible? Any ideas on removing the copper sink that is attached by epoxy/super glue?

• 1 month later...
I like heat gun heat up the whole board PCB then Air Compressor blow as much off as you can. Then CRC Quick Dry Contact Cleaner for the residue.

Nice, I already use crc quick dry, and own both a heat gun and compressor. I guess for quick indoor (large compressor) use my DataVac elec duster would work if I hold it away a bit

Thanks Splave and Loud

I like heat gun heat up the whole board PCB then Air Compressor blow as much off as you can. Then CRC Quick Dry Contact Cleaner for the residue.

CRC Quick Dry, never leave home without it :D

or an air compressor. . . .

or a dehu . . . .

I'll have to grab a can of this stuff. Only have one board that needs cleaned and it's not necessary but I'd rather have all my subzero setups completely under my personal methods and all the same. :P