HWBOT Community Forums

A Sandy Bridge Pentium that OC's???

Hello everyone!

I'm a user of HWBOT for about 4 years, had about 60 points on my old HWBOT account, haven't done much on this one.

I don't know much about intel's lower end lineup, and I was under the impression that all of the 1155 pentiums were locked multiplier. Well I threw together a computer for office use today with an EVGA P67 SLI board and a Pentium G640, and while messing around in the bios, noticed that I was able to set a different value in the processor's multiplier setting. I saved the bios and to my surprise, The BIOS is showing the value I've set.

I have not installed windows yet, but I certianly will get a cpuz validation when I do.

I'm wondering if anyone has more information as to why this is possible?

Guest TheMadDutchDude

One final ditch effort is to get Windows to "High Performance" mode, but the chances are that it won't overclock. :D

I had an MSI Z77 GD65 motherboard that wouldn't overclock, no matter what. I had an 8GHz i7-3770K on less than stock voltage according to its BIOS. :D