HWBOT Community Forums

What is that ?

Taloken

So, we see that now there's "Rookies of Country", "Novice of Country" & Co ...

Where do this come from, and why ?

Without any explanations, i don't see why put members in a "default team".

Also, in Team Cup and Novice Nimble, we see these "groups" participating. Just no, they are not in a team, and by let them compete, it just devalue the interest of be part of a team.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, didn't see this thread until now.

The generic teams were added a while ago to address some issues related to how new users find their way around the site. In contrary to 5 years ago when social frameworks like forums drove people to HWBOT, most new overclockers join the site through benchmarks like GPUPI, HWBOT Prime, and XTU. The new guys join because they're interested in learning more about overclocking instead of having friends recommend them to submit their results for the team. This has a couple of consequences:

1) Our team based competitions, like Novice Nimble and Team Cup, rely on the overclockers being part of a team. Since the new overclockers are not connected to a team, they have to go through the hassle of creating a team or simply cannot participate. With the generic teams, everyone is now able to participate in those competitions.

2) For Team Captains it's not easy to find new, enthusiastic overclockers to get in touch and introduce to the team. With the generic team, the Team Captains can check who are the most active overclockers in their region and reach out to them. For example, in France you might want to check the Rookie Sapu or Novices Ziken and Looping.

The goal is to help new overclockers to learn about overclocking teams and their social aspects as well as help Team Captains find new enthusiastic overclockers to join the community.

Thanks for your explanation PJ :)

Just a question :

If Team Cup winner is Extreme Overclocker of Country, will you reward them ? As there is obviously absolutely no team-spirit.

That's just the point i'm sceptical about this. If people can participate and win in team-based without being in a REAL team ... sounds bad.

Thanks for your explanation PJ :)

Just a question :

If Team Cup winner is Extreme Overclocker of Country, will you reward them ? As there is obviously absolutely no team-spirit.

That's just the point i'm sceptical about this. If people can participate and win in team-based without being in a REAL team ... sounds bad.

The likelihood of that happening is about .01%

I wouldn't worry about it.

@Taloken

What Mr.Scott says :).

The dynamics of competitions like the Team Cup and Novice Nimble are that teamwork is necessary. Usually there are a lot of different challenges and hardware. The generic teams typically have people with the most common hardware, so I don't think this will happen.

The same applies to the Teams League. Because the rankings are based on the GTPP and HTPP (one score per ranking), there's almost no effect of the generic teams having a lot of team members. I see that the highest ranked generic teams are Extreme Overclockers of United Kingdom (58th) and Extreme Overclockers of France (75th), both mainly because of one or two people.