HWBOT Community Forums

In this thread we maintain a list of helpful overclocking guides for overclocking Z170 and Skylake CPUs. The list consists of English and international languages, written and video, general and detailed overclocking stuff.

Feel free to post a message with links to other guides!

English Guides - General Skylake Overclocking

English Guides - Specific and Advanced Overclocking

International Guides

Video Guides

Edited by Massman

• 3 months later...

Thanks @sin0822. I saw the guide pop by on Facebook - looks very nice!

Request: can you have a look at the relationship between the AVX instruction set and power management for Skylake? I recall AVX performance increasing the Vcore on Haswell-E CPUs and based on the Skylake non-K unlocking it seems there is a direct relationship.

Thanks @sin0822. I saw the guide pop by on Facebook - looks very nice!

Request: can you have a look at the relationship between the AVX instruction set and power management for Skylake? I recall AVX performance increasing the Vcore on Haswell-E CPUs and based on the Skylake non-K unlocking it seems there is a direct relationship.

So I plan to add a section on non-K OC using Supermicro's C7Z170-OCE since it's an OC board and Supermicro did have that BIOS first. I will look at it there.

I know that AVX does seem to have a pretty big impact. A quick glance at the LLC results (each boards' page has LLC tests) I test maximum load with CINEBENCH R11.5 (I don't think it has AVX) and then I also do Intel Burn Test with AVX. Of course the load of IBT itself could just raise or lower voltages more, but obviously there is a large increase in power considering the increases in voltages when utilizing positive LLC and decreases with negative LLC levels.

I will look into a more consistent way to test this out and the impacts on power management.

There might also be an impact depending on the voltage mode used, but i would think that with non-K OC you would use manual mode instead of adaptive or offset since the frequency doesn't drop. Using LLC on manual is there, but can be negated depending on the LLC of the board.

You want to know whats really crazy, all the five boards I used in the article (and including the Supermicro #6) all use the same PWM! lol, you would think their LLC would be quite similar, but its greatly differs between brands (two brands are quite close tho).

BTW thanks!

FYI, this is what I was referring to regarding AVX and Haswell (not -E).

Adaptive Mode: Adaptive voltage affects voltage for Turbo multiplier ratios only. Unlike Offset, using Adaptive does not affect idle/light load Vcore. Therefore, Adaptive mode is the preferred method for overclocking Haswell processors if one wishes to retain dynamic voltage changes according to processor load without running into issues with idle Vcore becoming too low..

There is one issue with Offset and Adaptive Mode that needs to be taken into account. The processor contains a power control unit which requests voltage based upon software load. When the PCU detects AVX instructions, it will ramp Vcore automatically beyond normal load voltage. There is no way to lock Vcore to prevent this if using Offset or Adapative Mode. This is pre-programmed by Intel into the PCU.

As an example, a CPU is perfectly stable at 1.25V using a manual voltage (static), if Adaptive or Offset Mode is used instead, it is impossible to lock the core voltage when running software that contains AVX instruction sets – stress tests such as AIDA and Prime contain AVX instruction sets. When the AVX instructions are detected by the PCU, the core voltage will be ramped an additional ~0.1V over your target voltage – so 1.25V will become ~1.35V under AVX load. If you intend to run heavy load AVX software, we recommend using Manual Vcore, NOT Adaptive or Offset Mode.

Most of us do not run AVX related software, so this is a non-issue. Either way, dialing in an overclock using Manual Vcore to determine how much voltage the processor needs under full load is best - Adaptive or Offset mode can be used to match the stable voltage later on. Simply type the target load voltage into the entry box Additional Turbo Mode CPU core voltage to set adaptive voltage.

~ http://rog.asus.com/242142013/labels/rog-exclusive/maximus-vi-series-uefi-guide-for-overclocking/

PCU interfering when AVX is detected my be related to the non-K OC issues as the power management is disabled and AVX performance in XTU is low.

• 2 months later...
  • Crew

Principles remain the same Turbobooster. In your case start of with a safe Vcore and slowly up your multiplier. Check your stability with eg XTU and monitor temps. Normally for daily clocks no fine tuning of voltages and co is needed, usually the auto setting is quite fine.

• 4 months later...

I'm a little late starting, been on a long break from overclocking forums (three years or so)

batch# L549B993- 4800/4500 1.35v , 2400 mem, XTU stability test 5hrs pass

5000mhz takes a lot of vcore just to get to windows

batch# X610B350- 4700/4500 1.375v, 2400 mem, XTU stability and AIDAX64 stress test stable

5000mhz laughs at the chip :\

just got the L chip yesterday, haven't delidded it, temps with h100i aren't bad at 4.8 - 72c max in xtu, but trying 4.9 hit mid 80s just running the bench. I need to put it on good water cooling and maybe try delidding. makes me nervous, I did it back on ivy though with no problems, but I'm a gun shy noob again after being away from this for so long

• 1 month later...