HWBOT Community Forums

Test/Tryout: Skylake 5G Tweaker's Challenge

So many of you have asked if it was possible to include points for low-clock challenges like the SuperPI 5G. In another thread (which I cannot locate at the moment) I explained the difficulties with adding a limited clock frequency 'benchmark' at HWBOT and enable points. The easy alternative is to use the oc-esports competition engine to enable points.

To show how it would work, I set up a Skylake 5G Tweaker's Challenge. Here's the link: http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/skylake_5g_tc. Disclaimer: please note that this is just a test/tryout of the concept and the points may be disabled in the future.

There are 3 challenges for Skylake up to 5003 MHz: XTU, SuperPI 32M, and 3DMark11 Physics. The fastest across all three wins "lvl 1 = 50" oc-esports points.

Link if you want to use the HWBOT submit function: http://hwbot.org/submit/competition/skylake_5g_tc/

Feel free to voice your opinion in this thread :celebration: :woot:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't low clock benchmarks feature something that most cpus can handle without a single stage or better cooling. Or risks the hardware? 5g xtu seems too high. Physics as well. Superpi not so much but many 6700k can't do 5 ghz superpi at all on air/water...

Shouldn't low clock benchmarks feature something that most cpus can handle without a single stage or better cooling. Or risks the hardware? 5g xtu seems too high. Physics as well. Superpi not so much but many 6700k can't do 5 ghz superpi at all on air/water...

Good point.

There are a couple of ways we can do this type of competitions. 1) Only SuperPI 32M 5GHz (or other frequency), 2) multiple SPI-32M (4G/5G/6G), 3) different benchmarks that are all highly tweakable.

I'm not entirely sure what the best option would be. What do you think?

I like the idea of 3. But, like Rauf said, some chips just cant do 4c/8t 5ghz (like mine, tops at 4.8 with ambient cooling and <1.5v).

5ghz superpi is doable on all, just drop to 2c/2t done

4.5 for XTU/3Dmark11, doable on all, reliant on tweaks/mem timings. Gets more in the lower leagues involved.

Guys come on really... 5ghz? You know cold will be needed to win this anyways with strong imc. Every chip should go 5ghz with cold.

Skylake isn't very taxing either compared to 5960x.. and we usually do 5ghz there.

5ghz 32m

5ghz XTU

5ghz 3D11 PT

I think this is a great idea btw.... Can we add more? Do this for other platforms?

I would like to see FSE Physics also.

Guys come on really... 5ghz? You know cold will be needed to win this anyways with strong imc. Every chip should go 5ghz with cold.

Skylake isn't very taxing either compared to 5960x.. and we usually do 5ghz there.

5ghz 32m

5ghz XTU

5ghz 3D11 PT

I think this is a great idea btw.... Can we add more? Do this for other platforms?

Yeah I agree 5ghz seems like the sweet spot,the FSE Physics your talking about if they included it it would be skylake ? As I think the one platform for all this would be the way to go

Yeah I agree 5ghz seems like the sweet spot,the FSE Physics your talking about if they included it it would be skylake ? As I think the one platform for all this would be the way to go

Hey man.

Honestly I would like to see this setup by platform and I think it should deserve more than

25 points per as there will be alot more people involved with this...

It should get the points it really deserves.

An X99

3D11 Physics

FSE Physics Would be great also...

Hey man.

Honestly I would like to see this setup by platform and I think it should deserve more than

25 points per as there will be alot more people involved with this...

It should get the points it really deserves.

An X99

3D11 Physics

FSE Physics Would be great also...

Yeah cool but to take the best "5960"CPU out of this effiencey comp it would be fair to put a cap on uncore? 5ghz CPU 5ghz uncore?

Totally agree cap on cpu and uncore.. let's make it about tweaks and mem.. :)

Cool ,think I've ran FSE twice and 3d11 once ahah but sounds good that more people want to be involved with this sort of thing

Could turn out to be quite entertaining and fun

I love 3D just cost factor,tho if my ln2 price comes back cheaper this week I'll start to do more of it

Anyone that try's the above challenge will improve there benching skills,always room for improvement

5ghz 32m

5ghz XTU

5ghz 3D11 PT

I'd love to be able to tweak on ambient and have the massive pool of scores to compare with, though.

Massman -

ES is no problem

zeropluszero -

It'd be nice if the submitter perhaps mentioned it in the comments, so we know that we're mere mortals and dont need to compare ourselves.

First at all, the Engineering sample is always mentioned in the CPU-Z validation, for example:

http://valid.canardpc.com/6cr7g9

"Type Engineering Sample"

...so with mantadory CPU-Z validation you will always have this information. As for the "mere mortals dont need to apply" comment, well, that is despondence. Yes, compared to first batches, the ES are usually a bit better, but not that much. This is not like you suggesting a difference between man and God (when we dwell into the superstitions).

And compared to later batches are the ES mostly par to par or even worser that normal retail CPU's.

This is not a situation back in 2000 or so, when there are P4 ES CPU's with unlocked multipliers given as promo to certain people and you simply cannot buy a P4 with free multiplicator. That was, of course, absolute and decisive advantage (IIRC the multi can be cranked all the way up to x50...) for overclocking. Now these ES are mostly overrated.

Almost all of the "Golden" chips are from normal retail stock, just classic binning process...