HWBOT Community Forums

Can't clock CPU past 4.2ghz??

zpladson17

Hey everybody, noob overclocker here, however I'm no stranger to computers. I built my rig a year ago and am deciding it's time to give it some more juice.

i5-4690k w/Z97x Gaming 7 mobo using XTU:

I understand that to raise the core/cache clock past a certain point, you need to up the core voltage. My CPU is stable at 4.2ghz with default/stock voltage settings, so I figured it's alright to leave it there. Temps are excellent under full CPU load with all cores enabled at around 49-52°C. I've tried pushing it to 4.3ghz with the core voltage at +1.2v and it crashes. I have not messed around with any BIOS settings as I've read many mixed posts on what people think is best to do in there. I'd like to think I have a decent rig as I invested quite a bit into it, and I know this CPU can push past 4.2 so I don't know where I'm going wrong. Any help appreciated!

System Specs:

Processor: Intel i5-4690k

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7

BIOS: American Megatrends

Graphics: nVidia 780Ti 3gb

RAM: 8GB

Power Supply: 750w

Try setting proccesor voltage to override mode and @1.3V, cache voltage to override and @1.25V. The processor input voltage (VCCIN) needs to be 0.6V or more over the processor voltage. My i5 4670k is very average and can only do 4.5GHz at 1.375V (the volts is a bit high for daily).

Welcome! Have you tried raising the core frequency only? With 1.2 V Vcore it's for sure possible to push the core frequency further, but cache frequency is another topic.

Thanks! I have not tried raising the core frequency only, that'll be my next test here. Since I can run 4.2ghz core & cache at default core voltage, should I just try raising to 4.3ghz core and leave the voltage at default? I know it's trial & error but I'd rather have less errors haha.

Also I've heard people talk about disabling boost mode as it can be harmful. True/false? I would imagine if it's set higher than your rig can handle that will be problematic.. however it's currently set @ default.

Try setting proccesor voltage to override mode and @1.3V, cache voltage to override and @1.25V. The processor input voltage (VCCIN) needs to be 0.6V or more over the processor voltage. My i5 4670k is very average and can only do 4.5GHz at 1.375V (the volts is a bit high for daily).

Are these BIOS settings? I'm not seeing override mode in XTU

Welcome to the forum and to the world of over clocking!

I can understand where you're coming from with regards to settings in bios for over clocking, good or bad, there are many of us pushing to run faster and as such there are many different opinions on what to do and what not to do!

I'd suggest reading the guides written by very experienced guys that know exactly what they're talking about. Sin has a gigabyte guide for Haswell in the z87/97 over clocking section in the forum. You'll also find an excellent guide by Raja over on the Asus ROG forum. Have a read through these and they should help you get moving.

If you can't find them just shout and I'll link them later on.

:)