HWBOT Community Forums

First time DICE, did I do something wrong?

Lays

So I bought an Ln2 pot recently so I could do some extreme overclocking, here are some pics and results!

This was my first time, and I think I got a bad mount, because CPU was still hitting 30-40c load temps with pot @ -60 Celsius.

I will try again soon, I've gotta get the mount right next time to get better results for sure.

I want to thank @ProKoN , @rtsurfer and @Jumper118 for helping me out with the prep and little tips here and there, appreciate it a lot guys.

I think I did something wrong, because CPU temps were still going positive temps (are they supposed to do this...?)

Big XTU run at 5.3 ghz on CPU, 5.2 on cache, and 2800 mhz CL9 on RAM!

You can see cpu hit 39c load temp, yet pot was at -60c, so I believe bad mount for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02mJV3GTmFQ

l4AsR.jpg

image_id_1516414.png

l4Aug.jpg

l4Awg.jpg

what is the cpu's temp in idle?

XTU is a very strong 2D bench, try superpi with the same settings (cpu-cache-ram) and verify the temps on full working ;)

CPU temp at idle was 29c when pot was 26c, then at load it was about 56c with empty pot when pot was 26c as well.

I'm guessing that the foam you put on top of the eraser was lifting the pot a little. Tightening up the springs more would have solved that. Still a good run for it being your first time.

I didn't actually make a foam cut out, just strips that I surrounded the pot with, so idk.

I think maybe I didn't get the eraser around IHS low enough to allow full contact maybe, or maybe I wasn't using the write screw holes in the hold-down plate or backplate.

That looks like good contact to me, IMO you put a little too much on there.

Have you checked the contact between the core and the IHS?

When I used eraser I did not put any in the area inside the hold down bracket, I just used shop towel.

I don't think core and IHS was problem because I was using this same mount with my waterblock before I took block off to put the insulation & pot on.

Do you know what types of temps I SHOULD be seeing with full pot and 1.55vcore?

How well did the paste spread?

When I tried XTU with a 4770k and dice with around 1.55-1.6v I would reach about 10c

I didn't spread before putting the pot on, just a dab in the middle then I wiped the excess off on the IHS.

This is the picture of when I took the pot off, so it seemed like it spread OK?

l4Ji6.jpg

I didn't spread before putting the pot on, just a dab in the middle then I wiped the excess off on the IHS.

This is the picture of when I took the pot off, so it seemed like it spread OK?

http://puu.sh/l4Ji6.jpg

The spread looks fine possibly too much paste but I normally put one dab in the centre and 4 in the corners which comes looking something like that after the pot has been mounted

Last time I put on this much paste and made a smiley face 12185215_10208207741050372_1506021073445962250_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

I'm possibly think too much or not enough mount pressure but I've run systems fines with the pot just sitting on top under its own weight

Based the difference between your on air results and mine and how well mine did with dice you should be able to run about 5.4 maybe 5.5 but some cpus scale well some don't

I run prep like this (Ln2 and D.I.C.E.) it will make for a better seal, crank down the nuts all the way.

Use tape like this

1%20Tape%20CPU_zpsdc7ojaf2.jpg

Make sure the CPU is a tad higher then eraser

2%20CPU%20higher_zpssyw5cnwt.jpg

Ready to mount pot

3%20Mount%20Pot_zpsefoizcwu.jpg

Run it! YEAH :)

4%20Rock%20it_zpsmll9rdoo.jpg

So you tape the CPU down around the socket basically, then put retention plate down, then eraser everything?

Yes, on the front of the MoBo, on the back I seal it up with Plasti Dip in a spray can GPU's too :)

q

Do you happen to have a link for that plasti dip in a can? I may buy some too, it looks a bit easier using that to just spray on the back of my board vs having to insulate it everytime & use insulation foam under the board.

Do you happen to have a link for that plasti dip in a can? I may buy some too, it looks a bit easier using that to just spray on the back of my board vs having to insulate it everytime & use insulation foam under the board.

Just try googling plasti dip for your region. In the CZ there are several stores that specialize in selling plastidip I'd expect there to be similar for where you live

• 3 weeks later...