HWBOT Community Forums

Controlled Overclocking Cryo Chiller

lnlcooling

Hi folks I have had several suggestions from OCN, OCA, OC'ers, and Xtrmsys to join up here and share about the OCC. Gunslinger, Splave and Roman are welcome to chime in.

The OCC is a controlled LN2 chiller which can be set at any temperature down to LN2 limits (around 180-196C depending on load) and maintain the set temp (or the set-point) by the implementation of LN2 (and heat with the OCC-HC). Also the Zero Ice purge case provides the perfect environment, zero ice, no insulation needed.

Our L&L Cooling youtube channel has several videos of the OCC working at several different temps. In these videos I overclock to the best of my ability with the OCC maintaining temps from -23C to -180C (roughly).

There's a lot of info on forums, so I suggest doing a little googling to find out more. We are going to be setting some records soon! Here is the latest vid of 6.3 ghz on the FX8350 (keep in mind I am new to overclocking):

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. Gather you've got read points extended from mobo and gpu to case for v readouts?

Cpu/mem/gpu independent temp?

Easy to raise / drop temp?

Gotta be honest with you... I don't know what v-readouts are. I know the GPU temp didn't readout under 0C. But the mobo read down to -59C during extended use. The OCC cools the CPU or GPU with liquid nitrogen while the purge kit cools everything else with gaseous nitrogen and purges out all moisture from the case. Basically the case is an environmental chamber cooled by the gaseous nitrogen from the purge kit :-)

Gotta be honest with you... I don't know what v-readouts are. I know the GPU temp didn't readout under 0C. But the mobo read down to -59C during extended use. The OCC cools the CPU or GPU with liquid nitrogen while the purge kit cools everything else with gaseous nitrogen and purges out all moisture from the case. Basically the case is an environmental chamber cooled by the gaseous nitrogen from the purge kit :-)

v-readouts are voltage readpoints, where you could hook up a multimeter to check voltage

Wow system)

I dont understand why you use case for system and why no condensation?

The case is sealed and he pumps nitrogen gas into it to remove moisture and other air I believe. There can only be condensation if there is moisture in the air.

Not sure where this fits in with xoc unless you can run 3 separate heads minimum (cpu/gpu/ram) and have independent temp control for each?

Looks like a cool idea to be improved on although cost I would expect to be high. For a start certified pressurised dewars ain't cheap!

Voltage read out points would be an absolute must for board (easy to do) and gpu (not so easy, would need solution for external volt. regs.).

You'd also need to be able to raise temp independently for various cbb.

Not sure where this fits in with xoc unless you can run 3 separate heads minimum (cpu/gpu/ram) and have independent temp control for each?

Looks like a cool idea to be improved on although cost I would expect to be high. For a start certified pressurised dewars ain't cheap!

Voltage read out points would be an absolute must for board (easy to do) and gpu (not so easy, would need solution for external volt. regs.).

GPU would probably be quiet easy with something like this mounted outside case with wiring going to GPU:

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=100242&page=3

how is usage? how long does say a 180L tank last? Also i assume you are using a high pressure dewar not standard liquid draw dewar?
Yo Slpave this is the guy from a couple years ago who was working on this! Kal-El connected me and you helped with some wattage and size info. This is the finished product! (with the exception that our final chuck will be about 1-2mm wider).

Usage: I've ran full blast (-180C) on a 160l Dewar for somewhere near 40-50 hours. But that is max cold - wide open on the FX8350. I can imagine that the higher temp (-140 cb) 5960x would use less LN2 to regulate. I use a 220 psi dewar bled down to 65 psi. I just added a 65 psi pressure release valve and bled off the excess. Have you seen our website and videos? We have come so far since we last comm'd. I'd love to see one of these in your hands! PM me!

Instead of three heads, you run three OCC's. Presently, the same design for the CPU will work for GPU. We will have a RAM chuck for the OCC within the next month or so. The OCC can be run in open air, its just a matter of insulation which I assume the xoc community is already doing. With 1 OCC per component, you can controll temps separately.

I rent my 220 psi dewar for about $1.50 per day plus the cost of LN2. I don't know how much rent is in your area, but that is the way to go, and pretty cheap as opposed to buying a dewar. And when I rent one pick up and delivery is free. I just connect the OCC and go!

Edit: The 3 OCC's are run off of 1 Dewar.

Edited by lnlcooling

Ah, gotcha. So multiple OCC will still be run case less. Is that one OCC per component cooled?? So for example XTU on x99 will require x3 OCC for cpu and both mem banks, more for sli 3d?

And how would that work from the dewar, 3+ branch manifold?

So i gather GPU chuck will be done so SLI no issues with fitment? Would there be the possibility of slim chucks for dual pcb/gpu cards?

Apologies for all the questions, sure they'll be asked at some point or another! :)

Ah, gotcha. So multiple OCC will still be run case less. Is that one OCC per component cooled?? So for example XTU on x99 will require x3 OCC for cpu and both mem banks, more for sli 3d?

And how would that work from the dewar, 3+ branch manifold?

So i gather GPU chuck will be done so SLI no issues with fitment? Would there be the possibility of slim chucks for dual pcb/gpu cards?

Apologies for all the questions, sure they'll be asked at some point or another! :)

I assume that by SLI you mean multiple GPU's with slim side mounted chucks. We are working on the SLI chuck configuration but for the moment we only have the configuration you are seeing. Specialized GPU and RAM chucks are coming very very soon. In the present configuration, the GPU OCC is a matter of using the same OCC with the GPU mount. Purge cases can be outfitted with as many ports as needed for OCC umbilicals. So yes open air or dry case!

Cruise mode overclocking behind the keyboard. A must have tool for any private laboratory. When's the LHe OCC coming out?
LHe is for the crazies! Doesn't it make everyone's voices in the room sound squeaky? Maybe if you did LHe in the purge case it would float like a balloon... dreamy!

No LN2 on the island yet?

Cool. Just to clarify, one occ per chuck?
Yes one OCC per chuck. It's all one unit. There are two different types of OCC's the HC (heat control - especially good for CB and CBB and CO (cold only - cheaper because of a different controller - yet looks the same - and no heaters.

The heaters enable the OCC to ramp temperature (warm the chuck up) and maintain setpoints. Especially useful with the CB and CBB chips.

LHe is for the crazies! Doesn't it make everyone's voices in the room sound squeaky? Maybe if you did LHe in the purge case it would float like a balloon... dreamy!

No LN2 on the island yet?

Need to negotiate the prices down or hop on a corporate account or something. Figure something out.

Maybe your chuck setup would be more efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfm_iJ8J-Tc

Need to negotiate the prices down or hop on a corporate account or something. Figure something out.

Maybe your chuck setup would be more efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfm_iJ8J-Tc

yeah, the chuck might be fine, but the rest of the machine would be likely wrecked. The materials used for the OCC are designed for LN2 temps which are like 100C higher than LHe. I'm sure a build would be possible, but rediculously expensive. The LN2 hose alone is a huge cost. I can't imagine what LHe hose would be. Just R&D would break the bank!