HWBOT Community Forums

Pot temps warm or normal?

Lays

I have benched twice with DICE now on a 4770k I had for a bit, and was wondering if my temps on the pot are high.

I only get down to about -63c or so on the pot, I fill the pot just a tiny bit over the holes with acetone, then I crush up the dice and pour it in.

I always put a bit of thermal grizzly on the probe and then slide it in the hole at the base of the pot, then I use painters tape to secure the cable to the pot so it doesn't slide around.

Pic of crushed DICE:

lnD44.jpg

Pot is a Kingpin F1 Gemini 2.0, I use the fast base. ( should I be using the slow base?)

Using a Craftsman 82139 multimeter & a k-type probe I got with my pot.

Pic of multimeter:

2284870614_63ec623366.jpg

I use large pellets and with acetone I get a pot temp of around -70 and with methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) I get about -65

I would think slow base is best for a cb cpu and fast would be best for full pot with no cb

Nothing wrong with the amount of acetone you are using because just above the holes is what I say is perfect but I add the acetone after the dice and the pot cools down pretty quickly

I use large pellets and with acetone I get a pot temp of around -70 and with methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) I get about -65

I would think slow base is best for a cb cpu and fast would be best for full pot with no cb

Nothing wrong with the amount of acetone you are using because just above the holes is what I say is perfect but I add the acetone after the dice and the pot cools down pretty quickly

Temps are right in line with DICE, the slow base might help you out a little bit with heavy CPU loads.

Also, I don't think its necessary to crush it up so fine, smaller chunks or pellets will work just as well.

Usually I have a mixture of crushed fine & smaller chunks, I can only buy it in 10 pound bricks where I live.

It is really cheap though, 10 pound brick only costs about $13 USD.

I will try slow base next time I bench, maybe it will get a bit colder since there is more mass. I have had a few people tell me their pots get down to about ~ -70c, so I think maybe slow base will help.

Thanks guys! I hope this new 4790k I got scales well on cold!

Usually I have a mixture of crushed fine & smaller chunks, I can only buy it in 10 pound bricks where I live.

It is really cheap though, 10 pound brick only costs about $13 USD.

I will try slow base next time I bench, maybe it will get a bit colder since there is more mass. I have had a few people tell me their pots get down to about ~ -70c, so I think maybe slow base will help.

Thanks guys! I hope this new 4790k I got scales well on cold!

Temps can vary drastically with different probes, reality is that at idle most of the dice users are at the same temperature, under load it will vary with voltage and the CPU being cooled.

This is the probe I use, typically within a couple degrees of -196C when submerged in LN2.

http://www.flukeonlinestore.com/750422.html

Temps can vary drastically with different probes, reality is that at idle most of the dice users are at the same temperature, under load it will vary with voltage and the CPU being cooled.

This is the probe I use, typically within a couple degrees of -196C when submerged in LN2.

http://www.flukeonlinestore.com/750422.html

I have a probe that the guy I got the pot from included, his name is "dhenzjhen" and he said he tested it with LN2 and it had no problems going down to -170c.

If it only measures down to -170 does that mean the temperature reading is off, or it just doesn't sense temps that low?

It depends upon where the temperature drifts off.

Is it 20+ degrees off at -70C or is it 20+ degrees off only at -170C ?

There is no real way to know unless you can test it against a known good probe. That is why I stick with the probes that I trust.