HWBOT Community Forums

5850 dead?

Lays

I bought a 5850 off a user here on the forums, it was already trimpot modded for v core voltage, and covered in LET.

Before turning it on, I measured resistance on the trimpot, and found the correct direction to turn the wheel. I turned it to the higher resistance side, to make sure the gpu wouldn't get crazy volts on boot.

It has no display output, v core voltage reading shows 1.14v when inside windows, but no display output.

The vrm heat up, so they're definitely receiving current...

I tried dvi port, and display port. But nothing, just black screen entire time. Tried clearing cmos as well..

Any other troubleshooting I can do? Or is it dead?

Disable the voltmod and rule that out as a cause. I know, 1.14v is very safe, but still....

Have you tried wiggling the card in the slot? Wiped the PCI-E fingers down with acetone?

Heatgun the card? Maybe some dry solder somewhere?

I'll try that. To disable mod I just need to solder the wires off the trimpot, correct?

I want to hear back from the guy that sold me it first before I go messing with everything if possible.

To heatgun the card I'll have to remove all the LET as well I'd imagine.

PCI-E fingers don't have a single mark on em, so I think they're OK.

Tried wiggling around in slot as well.

When windows recognized the card when I booted in with IGPU, it showed 0 MB of memory on the card, possibly something is messed up? Or just software bug?

myPqe.jpg

The first boot needs a driver reinstall/re-initialisation, so I would consider seeing a "0" somewhere as normal. (or generally wrong values, as you see. 720 cores, 360MHz core etc)

You'll only need to unsolder one end of one wire to disable the mod, it becomes an open circuit (close enough) and the PCB circuit "sees" nothing of the voltmod.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running it on a different monitor? I have a monitor here that is very picky about the cards it wants to work with, about half don't display a picture with it.

Tried 2 different monitors, dvi and display port nothin.

I even unhooked the trimpot, turns out the guy thought it was VGPU, was actually VMEM.

Without trimpot, still no display output. I'm 99% sure it's dead.

Tried 2 different monitors, dvi and display port nothin.

I even unhooked the trimpot, turns out the guy thought it was VGPU, was actually VMEM.

Without trimpot, still no display output. I'm 99% sure it's dead.

Tried it as second card? that way you know if card is dead or not showing picture.