HWBOT Community Forums

MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Gamefreeze/Soundloop with 32GB RAM only

Lawrence

Hi there,

as a user of the MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Mainboard i am having problems with stability for nearly four months now.

First of all let me show you my Rig:

ASUS STRIX GTX 980Ti

Sound Blaster ZxR

i7-5930k (not overclocked!)

MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Mainboard

ASUS BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray Burner

G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666 32GB Kit F4-2666C15Q-32GRR

Intel SSD 750 400GB (PCIe)

Seagate SSHD 4TB

Corsair HXi 850W Power Supply

newest drivers and BIOS

First of all the system runs stable when running with 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws F4-3000C15Q-16GRR (16GB Kit, but only with 2666Mhz, 3000MHz refuses to boot - overclocking failed).

Then i switched to a 2666MHz 32GB kit as shown above.

The system is 24h memtest x86-stable, runs flawless when working on the desktop.

When playing games the system freezes with a soundloop 2-times a week. Only the reset button helps here.

The strange thing is: This only happens when i am using 32GB RAM, while using 16GB the problem no longer exists.

I also tried a different RAM-Kit from corsair with 32GB and 2666MHz. The same problem, games just freeze from time to time.

I also tried different System Agents Voltages, as well as differnt DRAM Voltages from 1.20 to 1.30V with no effect after all.

Has anybody an idea?

Thanks in advance....

@pepinorang

Yes... i know, i bought the kits, because they are shown on the QVL list.

They won't work flawlessly - i tried BIOS 1.10 and 1.20, both with the same problem.

Any kit validated on the QVL list means it passed more than 100% Memtest with stock settings and XMP profule.

I will check what BIOS version was used for this and will test both kits for you next week.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9500 en utilisant Tapatalk

@pepinorang

the problem is not Memtest - i had 24h memtest passes without any errors with BOTH kits.

The kits were also 100% Prime-stable.

The crashes only happen while playing games - i don't really understand why. But if i build a high end gaming machine i want to play games without freezes every 2 days. The Kits have to be testest in a long-time-every-day-use... that's where this high-end-stuff fails...

Okay - Right now i am through...

I tried everything - even with default settings on Auto - everything at Stock Speed 2133MhZ i am getting the game freezes when using 32GB RAM.

Well there is just one option for me... i have another mainboard here - the ASUS Rampage V extreme which in August 2015 refused to boot (cold boot bug) maybe it will work with the newest BIOS and 32GB... last option for me....

If this won't work i think i am going to get one of the new 1151 Socket boards with skylake...

Spend nearly 6000 bugs in order to get a running system then....

• 2 weeks later...
@pepinorang

the problem is not Memtest - i had 24h memtest passes without any errors with BOTH kits.

The crashes only happen while playing games - i don't really understand why. But if i build a high end gaming machine i want to play games without freezes every 2 days. The Kits have to be testest in a long-time-every-day-use... that's where this high-end-stuff fails...

Can you send me all the information below to investigate?

- ALL the components used (if possible include full product number)

- OS version

- Games used during crash (Also which patch/updates installed if possible)

Would that happen if just sitting in a game 24/7?

Would that also happen if running 3D benchmark in loop such as 3DMark11 or Firestrike?

I'm sure you would understand we can't reasonably play games all day/week.

Thanks!

@vdelvec is also running a different G.Skill 32GB kit @DDR4-2666 and don't seem to encounter this problem as far as I know.

So we can surely figure out your issue, replace the whole system seems a bit exaggerated. :)

Edited by pepinorang

• 7 months later...
@pepinorang

if the kit is 100% prime stable then problem might be with ur 980Ti.

as Gunslinger mention volts might help.

dont forget to keep us update