HWBOT Community Forums

http://history.hwbot.org

I've already tried to launch this idea through XS, but no one posted to the thread. So, new try here at HWBOT.

The idea is simple: overclocking has been around for many years and existed long before HWBOT was around to collect historical data on overclocking achievements. The earliest HWBOT data is from 2006 (I think that's when the site switched to a new database model/server/idontknow), but there are many overclocking results dating from even before 2000. This kind of information is vital for an accurate historical overview of overclocking as well as overclocking results.

Example (May 1998): http://homepage2.nifty.com/Katsuya/199805report.htm

The idea is really simple. HWBOT sets up a subdomain as historical archive where users can share information on old overclocking results. The way I see this, these are the things we need archive:

- overclocking websites (blog/ranking/...)

- overclocking results (maxClock/superpi/...)

- overclocking modifications (voltmod/turbopll/software/...)

There are a few problems, though. The first problem is that it goes against one of HWBOT's main principles which dictates that we do not feed our database with results that are not submitted to the database by the owner of the result. Although this is an important principle, perhaps we can make an exception for historical records achieved, let's say, pre-2006 or 'older than 5 years'.

Secondly, the results would serve only as historical data which means it would be linked to a hardware category, but will not generate or affect points in any way. Since it's historical data, we will also need to have reference to the records. This meaning that you cannot just submit any record without proof of the result and of course date. A sub-problem of this is that sometimes websites go offline and we need services like WebArchive to access information. It's possible that one day that service will also stop working which means that all the sources would return invalid urls. Another option is to download and re-store the website pages for historical review.

That brings us at the last and most prominent issue: copyrights. Storing screenshots and possible entire web pages without the permission of the author is basically stealing. Since I have no legal background, I don't know how this can be worked around, so I'm very much open to suggestions from people who know how this would work in court.

Any ideas?

Make the historical archive SEPARATE from the ranking, simple as that. Someone might have made a world record on X cpu but used other benchmark tools or whatever, what would you do in that case?

Anyway, hwbot would be the best place to achieve that idea. I can't think of a better place to have a historical archive of overclocking in older machines.

Greetings!

Pieter I think it would be very sad if any historical data is lost. I do not think that any of the historical stuff should be included for ranking however, that would as you say be against the practices of the BOT. A museum of benching and overclocking, or a historical repository if you prefer would be a great idea.

Now... What are the implications with respect to hosting, copyright of the material (images and such) do the original owners of the benchmark results have any rights? There is a whole heap of things that would need to be sorted I suspect. But they are mere detail and can be worked out.

Great idea.

That brings us at the last and most prominent issue: copyrights. Storing screenshots and possible entire web pages without the permission of the author is basically stealing. Since I have no legal background, I don't know how this can be worked around, so I'm very much open to suggestions from people who know how this would work in court.

Any ideas?

I thought that the owners of old results/records/forums/websites will not have anything against that their results/forums/websites would remain for the eternal in hwbot basis. If someone really have something against, leave the possibility to apply complaint to admin who has later remove disputable result/forum/website from the HWbot base.

I thought that the owners of old results/records/forums/websites will not have anything against that their results/forums/websites would remain for the eternal in hwbot basis. If someone really have something against, leave the possibility to apply complaint to admin who has later remove disputable result/forum/website from the HWbot base.

That was my initial idea as well: provide a complaint channel through which original owners can remove their data from the HWBOT server if necessary. I'm not sure, however, if that covers the legal part of this.

The problem is ... I suppose the best way to put it is verification. I still have my old 3200+ results... hell.... maybe even soem A-XP stuff butthere's no hard proof of anything. Partly because it didn't exist back then and partly because I didn't know I needed it.

You just mentioned the reverse... Team japan being thorough, but I think a lot of old results won't be so complete.

Part of historical research is dealing with insufficient data and/or proof. One of the assumptions of the research will undoubtelly be that the screenshots and reports we find pre-2005 are correct until proven otherwise. SuperPI runs without all the CPU-Z information will be added to the archive if there's enough circumstancial evidence that the score is correct.

• Crew

I agree to Noir and 1Day - this should be a separate database. Maybe you can dupe the hardware categories, but not mix with the existing.

Or make a link to archive from the existing hw pages to check who has made anything with this stuff before HWBot.

It's a pretty nice idea and it widens mine that I've sent you about a year ago - to store all modification info on HW "info pages".

For example - I find a good result on P4C800-E. I think - hey, looks like a nice board. Then I go here: http://hwbot.org/hardware/motherboard/p4c800_e_deluxe

And I see - damn, it's really good. But that's were it ends up - I've gotta go find it's specs on sites that reviewed it (the Asus site dropped info on it), I've gotta find mod BIOS if there are any of them. And then I've gotta find the voltmods or PWM datasheets to modify it. It would be very nice if everything would be in one place.

Community could help in finding links and pics (or making their own pics), getting BIOS mods and voltmods. Add datasheets and you've got a nice info that much more handy than the existing one.

What do you guys think? I've suggested to make a full HW specs table for video (DX support, TMU, ROP, pipes, manuf. process and other stuff) of all kinds. But that suggestion was dropped too.

P.S. As for legal stuff - go and look how Web archive handles this. We can make it the same way.

I was reading an article about Youtube and how they deal with copyrighted material posted on their website and how they are legally responsible for it. From what i read, Youtube is not responsible for copyright infringement until the copyright holder proves its copyrighted. Once they receive word, they can take it down without punishment.

Like you said, we just need a complaint/issue email for requests to take down copyrighted material.

________

IOLITE CASE

Edited by KingFishy

• Crew

Wow, Massman wrote me a PM :eek:

Upcoming New Year is nothing compared to this :D

I'm in.

Where can we discuss the site format? I mean - what will be collected and how it will be stored (copying the old pages, republishing using HWBot page&text format) and so on. All such stuff.