HWBOT Community Forums

Intel is holding back on releasing E8500 inventory

Here, in Romania, it was something like this:

20th Jan - A shipment with lots of E8200, ~10 E8400 and a few (5-10) E8500 was out on the market, and instantly sold out.

E8200 - Q740A - it was pretty weak for o/c. I mean...very low temps, good for daily use, but most off them stopped at ~4300Mhz on air.

E8400 - Don't know much about these ones, medium oc'ers I suppose.

E8500 - Q740A - Good overclokers, very high FSB (580 on air), pretty decent volts for Orthos @ 4Ghz-4,3Ghz

28th Jan - a shipment with E8400 came on the market, something like 30 pcs. Of course, they instantly sold out :)

E8400 - Q746A - Great oc'ers, would easily do 4700-4800 air cooled with normal temps, very low volts needed for Orthos at highs clocks. Very hot Cpu's though ( I own one of these)

Since then, they keep on bringing small numbers of CPU's, and they sell them like hot bread. I don't know what's up with this, I mean..everybody is trying to get one of these, and Intel certainly have stock (they are producing them at least since November 2007). why they are not throwing them on the market with full force....this I don't know :(

E8400 - Q746A - Great oc'ers, would easily do 4700-4800 air cooled with normal temps, very low volts needed for Orthos at highs clocks. Very hot Cpu's though ( I own one of these)

(

Hot cores ... 99% ... can give very good results with SS,DI,LN2

Much better than the cooler cores.

Here in Athens,we have fair good availability (except E8500 in limited quantities).

Almost every week,we have new shippments...cause they sell like crazy.

and now the BAD NEWS

Over a sample of 20-30 cpu's (8400-8500) tested on air-cooling the last 2 weeks with a max Vcore of 1.5volt.

Almost all of them ... are loosing speed of 50-80Mhz within a couple of days testing.

It seems so far ... that they need a bit more Vcore to maintain their initial overclocked speed after a few days or week.

I am talking about Orthos testing primarily.

That's not a good sign.

We have kept some of these cpu's ...to see what they will do on their 2nd week of testing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never seen an 8500 available in the US. I know me and others have been looking for them.

On a side note it is interesting the local MicroCenter had approximately 20 8400's last Wednesday. I went in to buy one Friday and was told a customer came in and bought 19 of them the day before.