HWBOT Community Forums

Recommendations/suggestions for Phase Change?

I just picked up an old Prometeia Mach I unit, and I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to insulation and sub-zero cooling. So I had a few things im curious about-

What are good methods of insulation? I have seen kneaded eraser as one, liquid electrical tape as well but will normal electrical tape with a layer of foam be good? I have put down a layer of tape on my AM3 board (it's not an amazing overclocker but will do fine for getting used to sub-zero) like this:

hIJzkwB.jpg

(I've also put Dielectric grease in the socket, and will be adding foam when the cooler shows up soon)

other thing: I'm getting the unit in New condition so it still has the stock R134 in it. I've researched a little and found that R507 or R404A can be put in the Mach 1 without issues, how big of a difference will this make for cooling? Is there "better" gases to use for cooling?

Thanks for input!

People have had issues with dielectric grease in the socket before, however that was on Intel. Make sure you have insulation and towels between the board and backplate as well. As the CPU is raises above the board you'll get frost forming on the sides of the CPU, so be careful of that too.

With Phase, and generally up to -130 degrees I use Vaseline, in and out of the socket

0d15ee92a2ba3327ed432c1e54b144b9_thumb.jpg

the only downside is that when you use the motherboard on air the Vaseline melts and you have to put it back

I had many problems with dielectric and silicone grease

Edited by scannick

With Phase, and generally up to -130 degrees I use Vaseline, in and out of the socket

0d15ee92a2ba3327ed432c1e54b144b9_thumb.jpg

the only downside is that when you use the motherboard on air the Vaseline melts and you have to put it back

I had many problems with dielectric and silicone grease

I got vaseline in the socket by accident when heating up the vas around the board, caused nothing but issues when running around -180c on skylake, the board had to be rescued by cleaning it all off in the dishwasher, all ok after doing this.

For phase you don't need much insulation.

I use small bits of kneaded eraser around the socket and edges of the CPU to seal it, a neoprene gasket on the phase head and around the socket, also some paper towels to catch possible condensation and one neoprene sheet covering the whole back of the mobo which sits between the mb and back plate. Another thicker sheet on the desk where all this thing sits.

But the general rule is better too much insulation than too little.

I also have the back of the sockets on my motherboards covered with LET for extra protection.

Never had issues with phase and AMD boards this way.

You can also use LET on the top of the board around socket and covering the SMD components too.

For phase change I use only armaflex foam. Two layers 6mm thick. No eraser, no grease itc. Temeperature is rather constant, so there is no issue with water. If you start the unit, let it working all the time. You can't defrost whole system, then is ok.

Well, the old prometeia mach 1 i got needs to be recharged (i'm going to have R404a put in instead of the stock R134a for improved temps, since the thing can handle it). So it will be around -50/-60* C at no load at under load will probably hit somewhere like 0* C on a overclocked cpu if i am doing quick math right (the stock unit can handle up to 150 watts of heat, so when i switch to r404 will be able to do 175+ watts of heat)

so for those temps ill probably insulate with some foam and kneaded eraser, will see what kind of condensation is/isnt forming at first. The size of the cpu is actually larger than the copper plate on the cooler, which is interesting. I might be able to put some of the "goo" that came with the prometeia to make a seal around the CPU edge, and then there would not be any issues with condensation at all. Thanks for the input, i'll throw some results and pics up when i get the phase change cooler fully working.