HWBOT Community Forums

[Q] CAD file

PureBlizz

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @MR\. Horse

The table itself is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

You can read about what that means here.

As for modifications, variations and so on, I'm not sure where the line goes for what you can sell. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably clear that up for us :cool:

• Crew
Hi @MR\. Horse

The table itself is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

You can read about what that means here.

As for modifications, variations and so on, I'm not sure where the line goes for what you can sell. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably clear that up for us :cool:

As it is a Sharealike it means that event he modified version would need to be the same license.

The non-Commercial apply for the actual version and the modified version, it is also a matter of respect of the hundreds`of hours of work put into it and still opening the design. :)

Basically : anyone that want to do, build upon and enjoy the table can do it for himself, but cannot sell the table.

Third party accessories are open to anyone to create then anyone can choose their accessories licences ( or just sell them ;))

does it come with your signature

I don't know what could be arranged, but the table does not come with any signatures. You might have seen images of an early version here on the forum, these had signatures on them.

The table - if you buy it - looks exactly like the 2th image on the website.

• Crew

@PureBlizz / @Strong Island - The Signature you have seen might have been only on 1 prototype that was passed among overclockers and they signed it to make it special ( Julius / Jakub / FlankerZ ) but indeed the official version do not have signature on it.

@MR\. Horse - Please do so, the fact that we open the design is for anyone to build upon, improve the design or for people with CNC to experiment with it. As a respect for the designers and work done to bring this to life, don't sell them.

• Crew

I think everything has been said correctly. The open license for the blueprints of the table are not there to encourage copies of the table itself, but to encourage the development of an ecosystem of mods and accessories made by and "profiting to" the fans around the world that make them. (Note here, we are not selling licenses for someone to be able to make official accessories - its an open opportunity)

So for example, you are probably better off spending time doing a specific and useful accessory for table owners that you sell say 15-20$ rather than taking the files and making a cheap copy. These accessories will be of greater use to the community and all the credit is then for you for making them :) Especially if you have the tooling - there are pretty much endless possibilities.

I think if someone wants to break the law of copyrights, he can and he sure will ... But, he probably doesn't need the blueprints to do that ^^. The table as it is, is it's own blueprint. There is no hidden magic, or stuff you can't reproduce without measuring skills and time. At the end of the day it all boils down to personal ethics. Nobody win's from this, and it just spreads negativity.

We do entrust our community with these files - and that's what we want to focus on. :)

@PureBlizz / @Strong Island - The Signature you have seen might have been only on 1 prototype that was passed among overclockers and they signed it to make it special ( Julius / Jakub / FlankerZ ) but indeed the official version do not have signature on it.

@MR\. Horse - Please do so, the fact that we open the design is for anyone to build upon, improve the design or for people with CNC to experiment with it. As a respect for the designers and work done to bring this to life, don't sell them.

I'm sorry, I was totally joking, I was being sarcastic because I couldnt believe that he was asking if he can make a cheaper design based on your work and files and then actually sell them. it blew my mind a little bit, seemed very rude. And then to scoff at the time it took to create, just shows what kind of person we are dealing with.

• 1 month later...
  • Crew

Hey @Alan_Alberino

Yes there is news. Actually we had a news on the HWBOT front page: 'Community Projects' Page Added to Open Benchtable Site

And we also send a newsletter to the Open Benchtable followers ( you actually might want to register to not miss our on future announcements ).

It's all available here : Community - Open Benchtable

Hey @Alan_Alberino

Yes there is news. Actually we had a news on the HWBOT front page: 'Community Projects' Page Added to Open Benchtable Site

And we also send a newsletter to the Open Benchtable followers ( you actually might want to register to not miss our on future announcements ).

It's all available here : Community - Open Benchtable

Great, thanks. Had a trip of 10 days and when I came I had 6 exams so I didn't watched too much and I'm suscribed but had +200 new mails so I didn't seen it.

Thanks for this big help to the community :D Will see if some idea for an accessory comes after pending exams...

EDIT: Sketchup file mentioned at the link you provided here isn't available at provided files. Isn't it available yet?

Edited by Alan_Alberino

• Crew

No worries. I'm looking forward to see what you will build with it.

Make sure to share with us and post some shots here. :)

EDIT, just saw your edit ^^ Yeah for the sketchup files I know ... it's something I will check with PureBlizz - he is taking a small break right now. I will email through the creator community email when it's updated. ;)

Edited by Xyala