HWBOT Community Forums

Will GDDR3 fry above 1000 MHz?

On a lot of forums people rumour that RAM on the HD2900XT, or the 9600GT (like I have) should not run above a 1000 MHz as it will slowly die when you do that. However, nowhere I can find a real strong argument why this either would or would not be the case.

So my question is: Is it OK for GDDR3 to run above 1000 MHz or not? And if so, why?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I just set my 9600GT EVGA's memory clock to 1000 via Riva Tuner 2.08, I seriously doubt it will do any harm. I'm thinking it would have to be a lot higher than that to see any negative effects. Where did you get your information from?

Ok I set mine to 1150 also, what about your core clock speed??? I'm at 700 and shader clock at 1736.

*** Just played Team Fortress 2 and it crashed after about 10 minutes. Bringing the memory back down to 1000. I really think the overclock is worthless unless you can actually "use" it I think it is much easier to benchmark an overclock than to play it. There should be an overclocked 1st person shooter tournament! Thats a bench mark! LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I set mine to 1150 also, what about your core clock speed??? I'm at 700 and shader clock at 1736.

*** Just played Team Fortress 2 and it crashed after about 10 minutes. Bringing the memory back down to 1000. I really think the overclock is worthless unless you can actually "use" it I think it is much easier to benchmark an overclock than to play it. There should be an overclocked 1st person shooter tournament! Thats a bench mark! LOL!

thats a nice remark :)