HWBOT Community Forums

Is the GIGABYTE Z170-SOC Force LN2 Retail or ES?

Guest george.kokovinis

Guest george.kokovinis

Non retail products are considered ES, right ?

ES is OK for Elite members, right ?

How does this group-buy proposal stand for all members ?

Is it not against the rules ?

Just my 0.02...

Guest george.kokovinis

Folks, sorry for insisting, but rules can't be interpreted as we ( or others ) like.

Supposedly, this group-buy goes thru.

And what if after the group-buy someone wants to buy it ?

Will it be possible ?

Retail means I can find the product at a shop or web shop.

Retail is not an one off group-buy directly from the factory, because someone can pull the right strings.

Unless HWBOT decides to become a web-shop.

Then certainly things would be different.

But it also won't be a engineering sample since it's a final version of the product and principally it won't be a sample since users are buying them.

HOF LN2 980Tis were available only at Galax store in a very limited quantity, that makes it an ES since you couldnt buy it at a store, only from the manufacturer and only at limited time (time that the stock of the only few units lasted)?

Guest george.kokovinis
But it also won't be a engineering sample since it's a final version of the product and principally it won't be a sample since users are buying them.

HOF LN2 980Tis were available only at Galax store in a very limited quantity, that makes it an ES since you couldnt buy it at a store, only from the manufacturer and only at limited time (time that the stock of the only few units lasted)?

Since when Galax store is NOT a web-shop ?

It is not appropriate to present or try to present things in a subjective way, when simple mathematical approach says :

Product NOT available ANYWHERE in the world in retail form. Period.

Anyone can interpret things subjectively.

Folks, sorry for insisting, but rules can't be interpreted as we ( or others ) like.

Will it be possible ?

Retail is not an one off group-buy directly from the factory, because someone can pull the right strings.

Unless HWBOT decides to become a web-shop.

Then certainly things would be different.

There have been limited run things before, Z97 SOC Ln2 board comes to mind, which isn't considered an ES.

Limited run != ES

If you missed out on buying it when it was available, than how is it the manufacturer's fault.?

A teammate bought a Gskill B-die kit @ launch, from Newegg. Gskill then choose not to ever release another kit with the same spec. Does that make it ES..? It was bought through retail channels without any special preferential treatment. He just got lucky, nothing else.

By you guys' definition, every discontinued product would become an ES. Have you thought of that..?

Edit:- I agree with you that its not this black & white. But I still don't think it should be an ES.

Edited by rtsurfer

Guest george.kokovinis
There have been limited run things before, Z97 SOC Ln2 board comes to mind, which isn't considered an ES.

Limited run != ES

If you missed out on buying it when it was available, than how is it the manufacturer's fault.?

A teammate bought a Gskill B-die kit @ launch, from Newegg. Gskill then choose not to ever release another kit with the same spec. Does that make it ES..? It was bought through retail channels without any special preferential treatment. He just got lucky, nothing else.

By you guys' definition, every discontinued product would become an ES. Have you thought of that..?

Edit:- I agree with you that its not this black & white. But I still don't think it should be an ES.

SOC-LN2. Seller = Gigabyte. Where = Retail

G.Skill limited ram sets. Seller = Newegg. Retail.

AsRock M-OCF. Used here by specific ELITE members until it became a retail product.

Who in the name of Heaven referred to discontinued RETAIL products ?

Does Gigabyte even have the intention to present this product in the future thru retail channels ?

Official Gigabyte reps say NO.

What is it you do not understand folks ?

SOC-LN2. Seller = Gigabyte. Where = Retail

G.Skill limited ram sets. Seller = Newegg. Retail.

AsRock M-OCF. Used here by specific ELITE members until it became a retail product.

Are you suggesting that its an ES because Gigabyte is the seller..? Isn't it being re-sold by Hwbot....?

To me, an ES is something that specifically engineered to be superior to retail stuff & you cannot get it even if you wanted to. Because it is only being handed out to a select few.

If this group buy goes through, the second condition won't be satisfied, which makes it not ES, in my opinion.

Who in the name of Heaven referred to discontinued RETAIL products ?

This here

Will it be possible ?

To me, the only worthwhile argument against this being called retail is the fact that you cannot buy it at a later stage. But that opens another can of worms as i said.

What is it you do not understand folks ?

That its an ES because its not being sold by Newegg, CaseKing, OCUK,etc etc.

That is a very bad argument.

I just tried to break his message down to smaller parts so I can address them separately.

How is this a specific group..?

Anyone can join in on this group big they wish to. Doenst matter if you are a gamer on OCN or an extreme overclocker. The only thing you need to do to be a part of this "specific group" is to go ahead & say that you want to buy one, if & when Hwbot gets the group buy to work. No one is being told that he can't buy it. In fact, the more the merrier because we need more orders for the buy to actually happen & happen at a good price.

The only thing insider about this buy is that we can get a board that Gigabyte wasn't ready to make because they don't see enough demand for it.

Guest george.kokovinis

1+1 will always be 2 and never 3-1.

If some wish to see things in an non-mathematical way of thinking, so be it.

Discussions are subject to objectiveness and not illusions.

Now, to the bone.

Gigabyte has failed to present an antagonistic Z170 board, purely for overclockers.

Gigabyte has an exceptional line of boards, but in this specific domain, is behind.

The company's marketing department can not or will not justify the release of such a product.

On the other hand, the company wants to be in the center of discussion, sideways.

One foot in, one foot out.

Make 100 boards with limited cost and still be in the game.

Is the pot half full or half empty ?

Who knows.

Yes, insider tricks thru side channels.

For those experienced in true life, it is common in everyday businesses.

For me this discussion has no meaning anymore.

Carry on believing what you want.

But if I see even one submission with this board from an non-Elite member, I am going to report it as ES and insist, unless BOT changes the rules.

I already reported a submission of an extreme member with this board and expect the submission to be taken down.

Carry on.

Exactly. You just proved my point. It's not a retail release, and was never going to be.

Its not ES either.

Can you buy ES from Intel, Gskill, Asus.??

And also get them for your 50 friends.?

ES are exclusive, this board won't be.

People complain all the time that companies dont listen to overclockers and release products that overclockers want. Here we get an attempt to get a product overclockers want & people still complain.

Funny thing is that George is fine with calling this board retail if Hwbot opens a webshop. That changes nothing about how this board came to be, but supposedly fixes his concern. Don't know what's different from buying it from a webshop or a group buy like this. Seems needless nitpicking to me.

For me this discussion has no meaning anymore.

As if it had one to begin with.

I do agree with other stuff you said about Gigabyte & hope you get that sub removed. ;)

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I'd imagine that it is quite high. The reason why these aren't on sale is because the minimum quantity that they can order from the factory is 500, which would be very difficult to sell, let alone multiple loads of them as they are really only of interest to people such as ourselves.

in order for this board to be considered retail it needs to be available/sold via online store (dirct buy includeed) to anyone no matter how many will be produced- sold ,it would also have to be covered by warranty,otherwise it's ES ,I'm not trying to crap on you parade Peter but lets be honest HWBOT is bending the rules any time it gets the chance

P.S. if you want to remove my post like you did in other "ES" thread go ahead..I know who you are

But if I see even one submission with this board from an non-Elite member, I am going to report it as ES and insist, unless BOT changes the rules.

I already reported a submission of an extreme member with this board and expect the submission to be taken down.

[removed by mod]

Chilli-Man won the board fair and square in a competition on Overclockers Australia

Gigabyte Haswell/Skylake GRUDGEMATCH Competition! - Overclockers Australia Forums

@websmile

Edited by Christian Ney

[removed by mod]

Chilli-Man won the board fair and square in a competition on Overclockers Australia

Gigabyte Haswell/Skylake GRUDGEMATCH Competition! - Overclockers Australia Forums

@websmile

While that may be true, it does not change the fact that the board is not a retail board and thus anyone that subs for points with it must be an Elite member. HWB rules, not mine.

Edited by Christian Ney
  • Thanks 1

Guest george.kokovinis
[removed by mod]

@websmile

[removed by mod], the fair and square win ( which I do not doubt ), does not give him the right to use it for points.

He is not in the Elite league.

HWBOT rules, not mine.

Edited by Christian Ney