HWBOT Community Forums

Different DIMM Slot = Different Overclocking Potential ?

I have some question about DIMM slot. Is it true that each slot is not equal in strength when it come to memory overclocking ?

I have i5-6500 ASUS Z170-A (I know this is budget board :P) and 16GB TDZ 3600C17.

Only A2 slot will easily boot at 3866 15-15-15-28-1T 1.45V and can pass Super PI 32M / Hyper Pi 32M very very easily (I try both stick of RAM in A2 Slot to check that this is not memory fault).

Other slot will not even boot at 3866 whatever timing or no matter how much

VCCIO VCCSA VDIMM.

Motherboard manual suggest that memory should go into A2 and B2 slot. So I try to max out B2 slot alone but 3733 is already hard to boot. 3600 is actually hard too but thanks to Xtreme Addict guide I try set all slope to 15-1 and now it boot at 3600 every time. But with different slope setting 3733 is still hard to boot and 3866 is still NEVER boot in B2 slot.

My motherboard don't have debug code. But try to boot at 3733 and 3866 in B2 Slot will result in QLED quickly pop up at CPU.

Any suggestion thanks. :ws:

Guest TheMadDutchDude

It does, because the traces are longer and a few other reasons as well. That's why the Impact or MOCF is so good with memory. The slots are close to the CPU. There are of course other reasons as well, but that's a big factor.