HWBOT Community Forums

Lightning - Dual Output Powercard

nachtfalke

today i will show you another powercard from a dead GTX480 Lightning , it is a very powerfull card that can replace Epower or any vendor powercard!

this one is a DUAL OUTPUT powercard , main pwm it is uP6225A , so it is a native 6 phases pwm , each phase are multplied by drivers uP6282AD , totaly 12 power phase! each phase are powered by IR6725/IR6723 Direct Fet package!

second pwm is uP6207AI it has 3 phase , each phase powered by IR6725/IR6721 DirectFet

output filter is full of tantalum caps and proadlizer( 3 for GPU and 1 for DDR)

it was not easy to see voltage on DMM because some pins are hiden under pwm package so i

cuted some traces and put together to simplified wires from LDO´s to main pwm !

enojoy!

20161016_1024490r4s7w.jpg

20161016_102459dysgw.jpg

20161016_135320fzss5.jpg

20161016_13500655sdn.jpg

20161016_135019r1sut.jpg

20161016_135022cns87.jpg

20161016_135041x0s8e.jpg

20161016_1351390zzslx.jpg

Edited by websmile
fix
  • Thanks 1

in fact i try to repair this card in oven ( you can see the buzzer plastic is a bit melted) ...but gpu was shorted(very low gpu ressistence) , also his gpu had 68 asic witch is potatto silicon quality to make some change in raking with ....i decided to use his vrm intro something really useful for an extreme overclocker:D

Edited by nachtfalke

man that looks so awesome, I chipped my really nice 580 lightning gpu die trying to delid, would be so awesome to try this. Looks exactly like 580L power section

Yes it´s look like 580L power section , but pwm pcb traces are a bit different , but should be no problem to make it working , also i had here 2x580L , i can you helped if you want!

you should pay attention to POR(power on reset) module from pwm , that is the key to activated this pwm , also this time MSI implemented the "power state input for load" function ... i spend some time to find the right PSI pin to enable al phases ( see the leds)

i waiting the dip switches to make VID mod ( 0.1v ; 0.2v and 0.4v) to pass over all protection and then i ready:D

Yes it´s look like 580L power section , but pwm pcb traces are a bit different , but should be no problem to make it working , also i had here 2x580L , i can you helped if you want!

you should pay attention to POR(power on reset) module from pwm , that is the key to activated this pwm , also this time MSI implemented the "power state input for load" function ... i spend some time to find the right PSI pin to enable al phases ( see the leds)

i waiting the dip switches to make VID mod ( 0.1v ; 0.2v and 0.4v) to pass over all protection and then i ready:D

ya I might take you up on it, it looks so interesting and must be an amazing feeling when done. Your cut was so clean, I need some better tools

because i have time only in weekend , i configure the VID on this powercard .

like i said in my previouse posts VIDs is only way to pass OVP witch is a payn on many controllers

i add an 3 stepp dip switch :

position1 will add +0.1v (vid4)

position2 will add +0.2v (vid5)

position3 will add +0.4v (vid6)

also can be used together in combination at desired default voltage

for fine tune voltage i will add an FB trim pot and the card it have full voltage controll!

for DDR , FB default smd ressistor should be removed and replace with a 20k trimm pot !

to enable this pwm i joint together some pwm pins from POR internally circuity to add signals/voltage on them! also i simplified the wires on the front side because original heatsink will be cuted and remounted on the fets . wires from vid´s should be slim as posible for heatsink compatibility!

20161023_0948470pjsyu.jpg 20161023_094908cssoo.jpg 20161023_094914a7sne.jpg 20161023_095218ahs4p.jpg 20161023_095239sysoa.jpg 20161023_095259yhsbi.jpg 20161023_09535221sjp.jpg

Edited by nachtfalke

Hey,

I have a 580L that I am trying to make a power card from. I was able to get it working, the Vcore output is about 0.9v which I think is correct but it goes to zero volts with a load. Its at least partially working

The PWM is the same and the layout is similar to yours so I thought I would ask how you did it. Would you be willing to post a guide for how you got uP6225 working?

Here is what I did to get this far:

mods-ohnepcieruzf.png~original

IMG_20161026_081205683.jpg~original

thanks!

remove the EN , VTT and PSI +3.3v voltage .

hook up the powercard from psu pci-e cords and then measured these pins IF is any presence of voltage/signals on them , you will add +3.3v ONLY on the pins that missing signals!

EN pin will enable the chip if this pin are pulled hight , hight than 1.1v

VTT pin if is pulled hight , hight than 0.85v enable the controller!

Edited by nachtfalke

Hey,

I have a 580L that I am trying to make a power card from. I was able to get it working, the Vcore output is about 0.9v which I think is correct but it goes to zero volts with a load. Its at least partially working

The PWM is the same and the layout is similar to yours so I thought I would ask how you did it. Would you be willing to post a guide for how you got uP6225 working?

thanks!

have you managed to make it functional??

also have you measured before adding any supply voltage if there in the POR pins is allready signals? way you added voltage if the VTT pin has already? you only need to strap( soldering strap) manually the voltage ( 1.3-1.4v) to the EN pin and voila will work:)

you need to add +3.3v only on the PSI pin ...to enable all pwm phases( all phase leds should lit) ...and the gDDR vrm will be activate aswell!!!

also you cuted the PCB and leave the gDDR proadlizer cap in the other side ? way you did that? also from gDDR vrm to soldering joints is way long traces , that filter(1000uF) will help you on transient current ..now it can´t do that anymore!

YOU WILL ADD FB TRIM ONLY WHEN POWERCARD IS MOUNTED ON THE LOAD. please not power on the powercard if you won´t removed the smd FB stock ressistor and replaced with trim pot!

i hope the pwm is still functional:D

20161101_08274759szc.jpg

20161101_09194797sv9.jpg

Edited by nachtfalke

also you cuted the PCB and leave the gDDR proadlizer cap in the other side ? way you did that? also from gDDR vrm to soldering joints is way long traces , that filter(1000uF) will help you on transient current ..now it can´t do that anymore!

I would have left all 4 proadlizer caps intact but they were physically damaged so I removed them. This card had extensive physical damage but it was free so I dont mind missing the caps.

Thanks to your help I have a solid power card good for older cards...now I can free up my epower to use with other cards.

IMG_20161027_194325519.jpg~original

IMG_20161027_194341068.jpg~original

Edited by mllrkllr88

You are a master!!

I removed all 3.3v lines and it powered up perfectly! I found out that 3.3v on PSI makes the phase lights show up but VTT and EN are completely not needed. The FB vmod even works, I cant thank you enough!!

i´m glad that you finnaly make it working :D i posted 3 days ago all infos what you needed and i waiting to see if you find from alone that POR module from pwm has alredy signals by default , MSI chose to use power state input for load(PSI is an input logical signal-active low to the VR controller , sent by GPU witch is indicate when GPU is in low power state) to control power management this PWM , a bit different choice used by Asus for example were these pins (vtt and EN)should pulled hight , one signal come from chip itself and another from pci slot! when the card will be cuted ofcourse that signals will missing so need to add mannualy!:)

you should add vid mod on the powercard , because FB mod will hint OCP and OVP limit ...

I would have left all 4 proadlizer caps intact but they were physically damaged so I removed them. This card had extensive physical damage but it was free so I dont mind missing the caps.

i would cut the pcb like i did , with or without proadlizers cap , because is a good oportunity to use soldering joints to the vga target , directly from powercard pcb powerplane +and - VCC

you should add solid cap bank ( what you used now i don´t like it very much :D , also added to much capacity of output filter will not help always ...because that change the behavior of VRM , and switching freq aswell( in some instances the fet´s will go more warm and chocke aswell ..because you will trigger the saturation current on them) ...so you need to add caps and test after.. ) also tantalum cap into place that allready missing on the stock filter!

type and number of decoupling bulk requires is dependent of VRM design!

Edited by nachtfalke

• 2 months later...

i have a 6870 hawk that i got to work after cutting it in half. It outputs 1.289 volts but only one of the phase leds light up red. I'm not sure what it means. I used elmor's advice and did this

Pin 26+48 = +5V supply

Pin 51 = ENPWR (above 0.825V to enable controller)

Pin 52 = ENVTT (above 0.825V to enable controller)

Then after seeing this thread i was wondering about the PSI pin since all my phase lights are not on.

EDIT: OK I figured it out but i needed 3.3v to VTT, EN, and PSI thanks for this thread I would have never figured it out.

Edited by hidethecookies