HWBOT Community Forums

i7 6700t/i5 6400t overclocking

Hi guys im planning to buy one of theses 2 processors and a extreme4 board to start on the non k oc`ing world since they are more affordable then others. My questions are:

1 - Due to the low tdp focus (lower multi compared to the non T versions) my oc capabilities somehow will be limited?

2 - The multi limit displayed on progams like CPU z can be overrided? I already know for example that i5 6400t have max around 22 while normal 6400 is 33.

3 - A high bclk value like 200+mhz could cause some issues or instabilities on the system?

I want to say thanks to all folks here at this forum. Very helpfull informations only searching on the topics created by others ppls. :D

• Administrators

Hi

on 1: I am quite sure with decent cooling and good power limit values, this should not limit you much, though it is questionable for me if it makes sense to grab low tdp model for oc, which will also become clear at 2

on 2: You can not override the multiplicator, the max is not negotiable for Intel on non K chips :D - you will need a much higher bclk for 4500 for example than on normal 6400 if you use a T-model

on 3: I have no experience with T-models, but in gerneral high bclk at full multiplicator is hard to stabilize, on i3 and Penriums I hit voltage limits before I hit BCLK limits though, 33x150 at Pentium G4400 is nearly 5g and you cannot set ratio in BIOS to 30 for example, so I hit air limits around 4,8 for example with 1,4v+. In my opinion, a high bclk above 200 can be quite hard to stabilize for daily use, you might need to raise some subvoltages which then produces more heat.

The idea is nice, taking low tdp model, but as resummee I am not sure this is best solution when you want to get at decent daily oc of 4,4 or above

Edited by websmile

Hi

on 1: I am quite sure with decent cooling and good power limit values, this should not limit you much, though it is questionable for me if it makes sense to grab low tdp model for oc, which will also become clear at 2

on 2: You can not override the multiplicator, the max is not negotiable for Intel on non K chips :D - you will need a much higher bclk for 4500 for example than on normal 6400 if you use a T-model

on 3: I have no experience with T-models, but in gerneral high bclk at full multiplicator is hard to stabilize, on i3 and Penriums I hit voltage limits before I hit BCLK limits though, 33x150 at Pentium G4400 is nearly 5g and you cannot set ratio in BIOS to 30 for example, so I hit air limits around 4,8 for example with 1,4v+. In my opinion, a high bclk above 200 can be quite hard to stabilize for daily use, you might need to raise some subvoltages which then produces more heat.

The idea is nice, taking low tdp model, but as resummee I am not sure this is best solution when you want to get at decent daily oc of 4,4 or above

Thanks for the quick answer buddy :D

I understand what u mean. I think i might wanna try since the 6400 models are too expensive on my country plus i got a really nice price on a 6400t oem. I saw a validated cpu z with a 6400t @ 5ghz (water custom) here somewhere on this forum and got really exited about it. My main objective as u said is around 4.4g for daily use/gaming but im afraid if these typo of clocks wouldnt stabilize. Maybe if anyone with this processor quote me here i will give it a try. I hope ppl show me a way out :D

Hi

I got it. I was searching on hwbot records and saw a cpu-z SS with a 6400t @ 5ghz on watercooling custom loop. As u said my goal is to get 4.4g for daily usage but i dont know If its worth to try. Maybe If someone quote me here showing me its possible, i would give it a chance. Hahah

Thanks

Enviado de meu Redmi 4 usando Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the best thing to do would be to wait a few weeks until you had the cash in hand to buy a k series CPU, That or go with a Xenon build that can be had for rather cheap, you would b limited to the same type of bclk overclocking on that system, the problem with going the old Xenon route is depending on what board you pick you are loosing a lot of features, if that doesnt matter to you the Xenon route is the route i would take, it's what i almost did until i ordered my 7700k