HWBOT Community Forums

PCIe standoffs

hjongste

I am the happy owner of the BC1 and have been playing around with it for a while. Here is something I noticed and I am wondering if other people have encountered the same problem. Ok, on the board first you screw in a standoff, then comes the PCIe support rod. However when I fit a PCI card, there is maybe a 2mm clearence betwen the top of the PCI support rod and the bracket of the PCI card. I need to insert an M3 nut in between to make it fit. If my explanantion is not clear I can take pictures.

Comments?

Edited by hjongste

I am the happy owner of the BC1 and have been playing around with it for a while. Here is something I noticed and I am wondering if other people have encountered the same problem. Ok, on the board first you screw in a standoff, then comes the PCIe support rod. However when I fit a PCI card, there is maybe a 2mm clearence betwen the top of the PCI support rod and the bracket of the PCI card. I need to insert an M3 nut in between to make it fit. If my explanantion is not clear I can take pictures.

Comments?

I know this doesnt help you but my dimastech bench is exactly the same, have to put washer to raise up pcie support bracket so the cards bracket doesnt bend down. They never meet perfectly.

It is interesting that you mention this as a problem with your Dimastech testbench. I had a similar problem with the Micro Cool Banchetto K. Before people might think it is something to do with me, I also have a HSPC tech station where PCI cards fit perfectly. Also the Antec Skeleton which I owned did not have this problem. And if it all fits perfectly in an ATX case why not on the bench?

• Crew

Yeah there should definitely not be that much clearance there. +/- 1mm would already be quite extreme.

We've got tables here and mounted with various PCI-E s etc never any issue. Maybe something isn't standard yeah ... or maybe some issue with the motherboard PCI .. still it's a lot

Let us know how your further testing goes

OK, I have put my new rig together. GA 990FX with a GeForce 1060 graphics card. I noticed three issues with the support rods.

1) There is still more then 1 mm gap between the top of the rod and the lip of the card. Tightening down the thumbscrew means pushing down the lip + card a bit.

2) The rod's position cannot be made straight with the position of the PCI slot. It seems more then a mm off.

3) The rod blocks the use of the second DVI connector.

So, I am (and have never been) fond of support rods and think that a (somewhat flexible horizontal bar would be a better option.

IMG_2459.JPGIMG_2460.JPGIMG_2461.JPGIMG_2462.JPG

Can you give some more infos ?

Which motherboard?

Which via or add in card ?

Which starts do off are you using for the motherboard ? (Pushpin or screw-in ?

Rampage 3 black edition and p5e3 premium

Sapphire hd3650

All pushpins except one screw-in in the middle

• Crew

@hjongste THis is bending way too much :) It look like you are trying to attache the stand off to the wrong hole in the VGA. Don't you have a hole int he middle of the 2 slide part ?

A picture from the top of the table would help.

The PCI-Riser have to be used with the same holes you would use in a case.

NB : can you confirm what VGA you are using ?

@Gigelz Seems you are also trying to attache it to the front space.

You should put the rod into this part of the VGA :

Comments?

Hi,

It looks like you have enough threads to get the top knurled fastener on as it is......why don't you adjust the bottom knurled fastener up to meet the bottom of the bracket....then tighten the top one down?

The bottom adjuster is locked to the shaft with non-permanent blue loctite and can be removed easily by heating it slightly. Alternately, you could use blue loctite on the bottom threads and adjust the rod up slightly or a combination of the two.

Use red loctite for a more permanent hold......or you could reverse the bottom knurled fastener to close up the gap as it has a slight counter bore on one side.

John

Finally gotten around to relook the whole situation. The two slot spanning graphics card has a hole which is meant for the lock down. So my mistake! Here are the pictures showing that it fits nicely and well. Sorry about me stirring up so much trouble. Mea culpa! Nevertheless, I still cannot use the second DVI connector. Ok issue solved, thread closed :o

IMG_2463%20%28Medium%29.JPG

IMG_2464%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_2465%20(Medium).JPG

• Crew
Finally gotten around to relook the whole situation. The two slot spanning graphics card has a hole which is meant for the lock down. So my mistake! Here are the pictures showing that it fits nicely and well. Sorry about me stirring up so much trouble. Mea culpa! Nevertheless, I still cannot use the second DVI connector. Ok issue solved, thread closed :o

Ehehe :D glad you found it

It look like you are trying to attache the stand off to the wrong hole in the VGA. Don't you have a hole int he middle of the 2 slide part ?