HWBOT Community Forums

how do you check your mount?

I was wondering how you guys are checking your mount using delidded Skylake/Kaby lake?

What I usually do is run XTU at something like 5GHz and watch the CPU package temperature vs. my LN2 pot temperature.

I like to see 0 degree package temps under load at no warmer than -30C on my pot.

With that said, I've had terrible luck so far with SL CPU deaths, I've had them run the bench session and not survive a reinstall, as well as die sitting on my desktop gathering dust.

I was wondering how you guys are checking your mount using delidded Skylake/Kaby lake?

What I usually do is run XTU at something like 5GHz and watch the CPU package temperature vs. my LN2 pot temperature.

I like to see 0 degree package temps under load at no warmer than -30C on my pot.

With that said, I've had terrible luck so far with SL CPU deaths, I've had them run the bench session and not survive a reinstall, as well as die sitting on my desktop gathering dust.

After Dancop's post I dont fool around at lower temps anymore to test anything, that was one of the biggest reason why I was losing my mount. I just trust my mount and pull down to around -175 while adjusting voltages in bios and restarting so I can pull down. Then I usually start a bench at a moderate multi and then pull down to full pot and adjust multi higher to what you want. Then I can run at max frequency of chip.

I use the same paste like dancop's post, sometimes a touch more and then put cpu in socket, then lightly place ihs on cpu in socket, but try so hard not to move.

Then I loosen each hold down screw like 2 and 1/4 turns and very carefully latch hold down without moving ihs too much.

Then I re-tighten each hold down screw like half turns each at a time, I never do the whole 2 1/4, maybe like 1 1/4 total turns each, so I dont chip the corners of die. Asus cpu holder helps so much.

If you follow this and dancops post below you will have perfect full pot sessions with skylake, havent tried kaby yet but hoping it's the same.

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=154112

Edited by Strong Island