HWBOT Community Forums

Hey everyone, Ive been interested in overclocking and learning how to overclock safely for a long time but I have never attempted it. Ive just recently upgraded my build from an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition to an Intel i5 6600k. Im not looking to o/c the daylights out of my computer but more of something stable to use and perform better while mostly gaming. Thats not to say that in the future I wouldnt be interested in competing or anything. My current build is all air cooled as I am not 100% comfortable with the idea of water and electronics. You can find my build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tTmMyf. If you have any insight on anything please let me know.

Thats exactly what I was thinking myself, my only concern is whether or not thats a safe overclock with my current air cooler. Does anyone have or know of overclock settings that have been proven safe or air cooling that can be used as a base. As this would be my first time overclocking my rig I want to do it safely without damaging the longevity of the cpu too much. I am looking to upgrade to an i7 in the future but right now the i5 is where I am at.

Thanks for the info! I plugged the info into XTU and the only thing I couldnt set was the Vcore, Im not given the opportunity to change voltage. I benchmarked that profile and hit 970 marks(Highest so far). Is there a list a list for what to change in the bios for overclocking to 4.6 stable? I see a dozen options and Im not too sure what each setting does. I have Asus Uefi Bios 0702 I believe.

There are a lot of 6700k overclocking guides that you can use to get the jist of it, there are some "OK" (very very simple) guides to 6700k oc on youtube, If you can find one on an Asus motherboard most of the settings should be nearly identical, as far as your cooler, if your temps go above 80 deg c its getting to the point of 2 hot, I would try to keep your vcore BELOW 1.35, but to change your voltage on asus boards you must set it to manual, offset or adaptive, I prefer offset, try to set your load line calibration around lvl 2-4, and keep your memory XMP profile off, load 2133 ram setting and manually set ram voltage to 1.35 volts for testing the cpu stability, once you have the cpu stable at the clocks you are happy with enable XMP in memory and try the tests again