HWBOT Community Forums

Beginning Extreme OC, have I set it up right so far?

Cavemanthe0ne

So mainly I'm curious if the insulation and everything that I have done on the MSI X79A-GD45 Plus is good for LN2, and so on.

(It's a 3970XCPU)

So to start I have layered the area directly near the socket and around the edges of the CPU with kneaded eraser.

WDH8pdL.jpg

I also have foam under the board:

ggjpsOC.jpg

I then put a cut out part of an old shirt (in lieu of a towel) around the cpu and socket and then mounted the pot with the various things:

lSYUiZs.jpg

Am I doing it well, not well, or? I haven't put any dielectric grease in the socket is that something that is necessary or not. I have read a few reviews that have differing opinions on it so.

Thanks!

• Crew

Put some tissue too in the dimm slots mate and stuff it any open spot with it liek one would stuff a thanksgiving turkey. Also make sure the foam on the back matches the edges of the motherboard, maybe not abad idea to put some tissue paper between the motherboard and the foam. I prefer a vaseline layer or liquid tape over eraser gum any day, as cold will spread more rapidly over the PWM area.

Make sure the LN2 vapours don't drop down on the board, so use some fans to create some airflow.

If ever you start running into random shutdowns, don't insist. Just power-off and check for condensation...

Have fun!!!

Edited by Leeghoofd

Put some tissue too in the dimm slots mate and stuff it any open spot with it liek one would stuff a thanksgiving turkey. Also make sure the foam on the back matches the edges of the motherboard, maybe not abad idea to put some tissue paper between the motherboard and the foam. I prefer a vaseline layer or liquid tape over eraser gum any day, as cold will spread more rapidly over the PWM area.

Make sure the LN2 vapours don't drop down on the board, so use some fans to create some airflow.

If ever you start running into random shutdowns, don't insist. Just power-off and check for condensation...

Have fun!!!

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback, wanted to make sure i hadn't missed anything. I'll definitely insulate the mem slots better. I've done a few test runs with no LN2 to make sure everything works, will have fans around to make sure ln2 vapors don't get on things.

Also will probably insulate the GPU/PCIe slot a tiny bit.

0b70cb5acb627e9aeb54c3637e8282127d5a0955.jpg