Massman

Would you buy a mini-OBT?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a mini-OBT?

• Yes, absolutely
    • No, not interested
    • I just want to vote

Hi everyone!

We had some requests regarding a mini version of the Open Benchtable. The designers got to work and came up with a design that is significantly smaller than the original benchtable. It uses the same pushpins, thumbscrews and brackets so it's backwards compatible. It only supports SFX power supplies and mini ITX motherboards to make it as compact as possible.

Currently this is just a proof of concept. Depending on the interest, we can consider doing a small production run.

Let us know what you think!

attachment.php?attachmentid=5370&stc=1&d=1487842781attachment.php?attachmentid=5369&stc=1&d=1487842775

---------

Update June 2017

The prototype V1.0 is officially announced : A new Mini member of the family : OBT Mini

BC1-mini-prototype-build-top.jpg

BC1-mini-prototype-front-packed.jpg

BC1-mini-prototype-folded.jpg

BC1-mini-prototype-logo-all-folded.jpg

---------

Update July 2017

As of now the prototype is 802Grams

OBT-Mini-weight.jpg

--------

Update July 2017

The 3 colors of the OBT

attachment.php?attachmentid=5785&stc=1&d=1499219627

Edited by Trouffman
Add Prototype V1.0 weight

• Members
Price-wise it would probably be very similar to the existing OBT as the main restriction is on volume. Any costs we could save on material because of the size would be offset by lower production volume.

Yeah fair enough, make a double pack available both with hwbot logo etc and I'll probably grab it hah :D

• Crew

I would rather do a mATX one with proper PSU support.

With reduced size I would position either the storage devices on the SATA side of the motherboard instead near the legs to have again full PSU support. Or put the supports at a 90° angle of their current position, but the latter would require a new support to secure the PSU...

• Crew
I would rather do a mATX one with proper PSU support.

With reduced size I would position either the storage devices on the SATA side of the motherboard instead near the legs to have again full PSU support. Or put the supports at a 90° angle of their current position, but the latter would require a new support to secure the PSU...

Legs will be shorter in height, no matter the length, a ATX PSU wouldn't fit under height wise.

While it is cute, I voted no for the following reasons....

- There aren't that many ITX motherboards out there that are well built for overclocking (although Gigabyte is coming out with one this generation, the epic Asus Impact series is no more, replaced with the Strix which isn't built to quite the same lofty goal and standards)

- SFX power supplies mean you're going to have to have a second power supply on the side if you want to do any kind of semi-serious 3D benching (they currently max out at what, 700-750 watts of power?)

- Crossfire/SLI and ITX generally don't mix, and if you put a dual core card in, have fun with the previous point

If it was a slightly smaller one that supported mATX and a full size power supply I'd consider it, but an ITX one that will be in the same price bracket as the original is something I wouldn't consider due to the power supply limitations and the lack of actual proper motherboard options in the ITX format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Legs will be shorter in height, no matter the length, a ATX PSU wouldn't fit under height wise.

Why not change the leg design and have them wrap around the board, not like adding 4 or 5cm would make it too large for travel. Might take away a bit of the charactor but it will free up a lot of space in the center allowing you to re-create something clever such as RGB's, haha that ones for you CN.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...