HWBOT Community Forums

X299 wattage throttling, is it caused by bad cooler?

ProRules

Hey fellas.

So we've all probably seen this video:

And so as he tested the cpu went to extremely high wattage consumption of over 400W.

Now what im asking is, if its just beacause his cpu throttled, and his cooler was crap? i mean cmon h100 or any other aio is bad realy, if im pairing it with 2 360 rads just for cpu and gpu, will it still throttle the wattage like that?

Yeah i've figured it must be the throttling, beacause 400W is just mental.

Also as you can see here:

The VRM throttles on X299 due to bad heatsink design, and the single 8 pin cpu connecter is also very bad on these, so im wondering what would be the wattage output with proper VRMs cooler, proper double 8 pin at the least, and delidded + custom water cooled cpu, on lets say 1.3V.

Hey fellas.

So we've all probably seen this video:

And so as he tested the cpu went to extremely high wattage consumption of over 400W.

Now what im asking is, if its just beacause his cpu throttled, and his cooler was crap? i mean cmon h100 or any other aio is bad realy, if im pairing it with 2 360 rads just for cpu and gpu, will it still throttle the wattage like that?

The CPU can run 5 GHz on Apex with H100. So if it can only run 4.5 or 4.6 on a different board it's for sure not the chip or cooler :) The CPU is delidded with liquid metal

Edited by der8auer

The CPU can run 5 GHz on Apex with H100. So if it can only run 4.5 or 4.6 on a different board it's for sure not the chip or cooler :) The CPU is delidded with liquid metal

Oh hey der8auer ^^

With the Apex, have you had any problems what so ever? Anyways i have no use for those 8 slots, i need just 4 of them, so i figured i'd get one of those following boards:

Asus VI Apex.

EVGA Dark.

Asrock OC Formula.

Gigabyte SOC Champion.

Have you had any experience with those motherboards besides Apex?

Edited by ProRules

if you see a review use over 1.3v for full threading benching and stress testing on an AIO without delidding then the cpu is throttling for sure. delidded conductonaut on both die and on top of ihs with 360x360mm rad 9 fans will hit mid to high 80s with the same voltage.

Stress testing is tricky on x299 since there is clipping and throttling. You can easily see it by running XTU or R15. You can get 3600 Points at 4.9 and then 5ghz will pass with a score of 1800 without showing any cpu freq drop. Same with R15 4.9 2800ish then 5ghz 1300.

• Thanks 1

if you see a review use over 1.3v for full threading benching and stress testing on an AIO without delidding then the cpu is throttling for sure. delidded conductonaut on both die and on top of ihs with 360x360mm rad 9 fans will hit mid to high 80s with the same voltage.

Stress testing is tricky on x299 since there is clipping and throttling. You can easily see it by running XTU or R15. You can get 3600 Points at 4.9 and then 5ghz will pass with a score of 1800 without showing any cpu freq drop. Same with R15 4.9 2800ish then 5ghz 1300.

Is this throttling only in the clock speeds? As in you can see the throttle happen by watching CPUz and seeing the frequency drop.

I'm noticing on my Gigabyte AORUS 7 that there is a sort "phantom AVX512 throttle" that disables half the AVX512 while maintaining the same clock speed. So while CPUz shows a constant 4 GHz, the performance (and temperatures) drop when the "AVX512 throttle" kicks in. I can partially get around the throttling by lowering the clock to 3.8 GHz and increasing the TDP limit to 400W. But never was I able to avoid the throttling at or above 4.0 GHz.

I've spoken to Silicon Lottery about this and he says all the Gigabyte boards for X299 have tons of background throttling that make it hard to use and I'm not sure if he's referring to the "AVX512 throttle" or clock speed throttling in general.

Interesting and good info. I do agree completely regarding running without delidd, tested two 7740K retails undelidded,shove more than 1.28V and over 80 degrees in R15.And this is a quad-core with a 480 radiator,two pump and good contact with 27 degrees ambient.

CPU-Z is often too slow for me but I can see it in the power draw and especially monitoring VRM temperature in HWINFO. Sudden drops are a good indicator :D

I dont care haha I will go by score :D maybe reviewers should be sure to use hwinfo