HWBOT Community Forums

3DMark99?

Massman

What to do with 3DMark99?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with 3DMark99?

• Keep it, allow everthing and points for all!!
    • Keep it, no points and allow everything
    • Keep it, no points and disallow CPU speed tricking
    • Get rid of it!

So, with all the rediculous scores being posted with 3DM99 through CPU detection tricks, what should we do with this benchmark?

I love the nostaligia about it, so I'd suggest to keep it here without any points and agree (read: add to rules) that the CPU detection cannot be tricked. Your opinion?

Finally :)

I had to give a little boost :D

Btw the trick works also with 3DM00 and 3DM01, but I am waiting the video finishing to upload to post my scores ;) . Network is sooooooo slow here.

EDIT1:

Why there is no choice ''Keep it, enable points and disallow CPU speed tricking'' ? :D

If points are enabled for 99 Max and 2000, I will join the HW Master League very soon :D

EDIT2 :

With 7.1 GHz :

http://hwbot.org/community/submission/2155671_christian_ney_3dmark2000_radeon_hd_3870_x2_169639_marks?new=true

With 700 GHz :

http://hwbot.org/community/submission/2155673_christian_ney_3dmark2000_radeon_x1050_64bit_2030043136_marks?new=true

Enjoy

Edited by Christian Ney

• Crew

imho [x] Keep it, no points and disallow CPU speed tricking

i tested it as well and it works, but it's a joke. when you get millions of 3dmarks just because 3dmark thinks you have xxx ghz. :rolleyes:

christian plz. edit your posts and don't tripple posts always. it's crappy to read. ;)

i think pieter is right.

No, no, look at my submissions, I made youtube videos ;)

The 3DMark 2000 one is coming , upload is 52 % after 2 hours :)

btw if you want the video from the BIOS to the result, just ask ;), or even better a LiveStream

EDIT: Ok I made the video, it will take ~ 2 hours to upload, it's 138 MB ;)

Edited by Christian Ney

There is no way to detect what score is "tricked" with CPU speed and what is not. Anyone who can play with affinity/priority and some tools for slow down cpu can boost score by 1%-10%-100%-... with it and you will never be sure unless score will be too big for the clocks/ranks. All that you can - adding rule for all new submissions/screenshots to show CPU speed (system info window -> processor speed or details window -> processor speed).

http://i.imgur.com/tCNCy.png

I think both 3dmark99 and 3dmark2000 must be completely removed. Or make "wrapper" for it to monitor cpu speed/usage.

Btw the trick works also with 3DM00 and 3DM01, but I am waiting the video finishing to upload to post my scores ;) . Network is sooooooo slow here.

Are you sure about 3DM01?

I think only 3dmark99 and 3dmark2000 uses cpu speed for fps/score calculation.

Ehr. Aren't you just using speedhacking software? Something that is already prohibited ...

No, it's not speedhacking software. Just slow down cpu by any application.

System Info component of 3dmark99/00 measures cpu speed at start of the benchmark, then uses this number as multiplier in score/fps calculation formula. For example, if your cpu speed detects as 3 ghz normally and gives you 80k score, then if you "tricked" cpu speed twice (7 ghz) score will boost proportionally to 160k. This is error in development and such things needs to be patched, but unfortunately old benchmarks discontinued.

I can't see the vid cause I'm in canada.

but IMO

-if it can be tricked

-can't be patched

-can't easily detect the trick

then I say get rid of it. I never bothered with those benches anyway so I have zero to lose so it is very easy for me to say this. but if I was benching it and am legit doing so and others werent, then why bother at all?

so with my argument, toss it.

Vin

Cause Now that I am back on 3D Bench, I wan to submite scores for 2000 and 99 Max, and I don't want that these benchmarks will be removed. So everything I did is going to be useless.

Btw, now that I moved HWBot to take a look at this trick, I can no more use it ;)

EDIT: Or we can allow this trick but use with moderation, score upper than 200'000 Marks not allowed for exemple ? Not like me and my 2'000'000'000 Marks :D

Edited by Christian Ney

I think 3Dmark 99 and 2000 contributes to the completeness of HWBot since these benchmarks can be used on many of the very first 3D graphics cards.

Since cheating/tricking of the CPU scores seems unavoidable you could limit the maximum allowed CPU frequency to 1.0-2.0GHz or so. Benchmarking of modern GPUs with 3Dmark 99 and 2000 could also be disallowed since these old benchmarks are not very useful for benchmarking modern cards anyway.

I have an idea to allow this tweak to a certain point like you did for PCMark05 and the XP Stratup test:

For the SS, show the ''Hardware upgrade'' then ''Details'' and scrolls down to the cpu, so we can show how high the cpu tweak was done.

And the rule would be, do not exceed your Real CPU Frequency !

I made 2 SS to show you how it works:

This one without the Tweak :

solution1.jpg

This one with 4.2 Ghz Tweak:

solution2v.jpg