HWBOT Community Forums

dual socket 940 competition

I think a dual socket 940 comp. would be a blast! K8N-DRE's are dirt cheap (and very tweakable if you have the right tools) as are dual core Opterons and DDR400 ECC. Slap your favorite pxci-e x16 card and drive in an away you go!

It's hardare most of us can afford and most everyone would be learning a new platform making for a lot of fun!

Just a thought.

Perhaps WPrime32 and 1024 and supePi 32 and 1M.

• Crew

Massman, it might be a two-part competition - the ones about 771, 1366, 940, 604, 1207 are server ones.

While Socket 7 (yeah, the first wide-spread mass SMP platform!), Slot 1, Socket 370, 462 are the Workstation platforms.

I prefer the workstation ones but many guys like the 940, I know.

And maybe a PCMark competition for the duallies?

Two part as in 'stage 1: server' and 'stage 2: workstation'? That'll just lead to winning with newest gear. I prefer 5-way stage, same benchmark and 5 different platforms you need to compete on. Just like this month's challenge.

PCMark would be nice, but doesn't scale over 4 cores.

• Crew

Each stage - different competition. One for servers (with a number of stages) and one for workstations. Otherwise some interesting platforms won't take part. 5-way stage workstation and 5-way server is more than enough.

For the workstation PCMark will be interesting - assuming the highest being Socket A - there will be only two cores in the system. More than good fit for PCMark.

For example, a WS competition with wPrime and PCMark (long Prime let's say).

When you go to server segment - yes, PCMark05 is pretty useless. And the WS platform list is rather short (s8 is a rare one to be popular enough for the competition).

I mean: if we split up in "workstation" and "server", there are only two platforms that should be used for best score. Splitting up per platform gives more different setups.

Agreed. Keep things simple yet varied. There are enough dual-socket platforms to keep folks plenty busy. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when some "top guns" get ahold of a K8N-DRE and have no idea how to make it overclock.

• Crew

Yep. I didn't say they should be in one month. And not even two in a row :)

Idea was about splitting WS/Server and adding PCM05 to WS.

And since we started, I remember a twin-head WS achievement suggestion. Think of it again - the current about 10 submissions is too simple :)

Edited by Antinomy

Agreed. Keep things simple yet varied. There are enough dual-socket platforms to keep folks plenty busy. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when some "top guns" get ahold of a K8N-DRE and have no idea how to make it overclock.

This made me laugh. I'd be up for the 370 section. It will FORCE me to pull out my BP6 and figure out how the hell to install a dang os on it.