HWBOT Community Forums

Serious question and confussion

Stone_age

As I understand it, the maximum hardware points that can go for a total score is 300. I've crossed that barrier and moved into hardware master. Now if I want to gain points, I have to get a global? I cannot get a global with my old junk, so anything I do now is just wasted time? (and perhaps hardware). So again, as I read it, this place, like so many other places, is all about the money spent, and not just the skill factor. Am I correct in my thinking?

Edited by Stone_age
left a key word out.

• Crew

lol.. it always leads to this..

Stone, from my point of view, if you buy a 6600gt for 10$ and run it with a 5.6ghz E8600 you get 75 points (all hardware records). and that looks easy to me. now look at a kingpin and shamino's GTX 295 runs, they modded that card till you cant even tell its a graphics card anymore, that requiers skill, then you have to run it on ln2, then you have to tweak and clock. all skill man.

hardware scores and global scores require skill and proffesionalism to reach the top.

You cant compete in grand Prix and race with a go-cart then say its lame cause they have million dollar race cars and you dont. its just the way life is.

I'm stil in school and dont have money to buy hardware, so i started selling pc's to people for cheaper than retial stores, gained money and bought higher end stuff, then competed in local comps to further international comps, then started emailing for sponsors.

if you truelly are a good clocker you will be able to work your way up, get sponsors, get good hardware and figure something out. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make a plan.

happy clocking!

Are you seriously saying it requires no skill to make a world record run, as long as you have money? You need both skill and money if you want to compete with the top 50 on hwbot.

No no, I'm sorry, that didn't come out right. It takes lots of skill, but lots of money also. Again, my apologies for wording that wrong.

Thanks for the clear explanation. I know I cannot compete with the big boys, and never intended to. I was just having some fun with my old junk, and doing this as a team effort.

Edited by Stone_age
error

• Crew
Hey Vivi :D I tried that approach with the 6600GT...didnt work coz of the GPU bottleneck :D

I agree with the approach though.

LOL! i also tried the 6600gt :D.. 64k Aquamark at 6ghz and very low 2006 at 5.6ghz quad. rofl.

yea we understand your situation stone, we just also defending ours, like massman said, just become a hardware master, they have their own ranking system.

ps: lol at "richbastard" talking about money issues :D

lol.. it always leads to this..

Stone, from my point of view, if you buy a 6600gt for 10$ and run it with a 5.6ghz E8600 you get 75 points (all hardware records). and that looks easy to me. now look at a kingpin and shamino's GTX 295 runs, they modded that card till you cant even tell its a graphics card anymore, that requiers skill, then you have to run it on ln2, then you have to tweak and clock. all skill man.

hardware scores and global scores require skill and proffesionalism to reach the top.

You cant compete in grand Prix and race with a go-cart then say its lame cause they have million dollar race cars and you dont. its just the way life is.

I'm stil in school and dont have money to buy hardware, so i started selling pc's to people for cheaper than retial stores, gained money and bought higher end stuff, then competed in local comps to further international comps, then started emailing for sponsors.

if you truelly are a good clocker you will be able to work your way up, get sponsors, get good hardware and figure something out. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make a plan.

happy clocking!

I can't see that the skill arguments don't apply to "old school" benchers, too. At least for CPus, you still have to beat some score someone tweaked the hell out of for 100 points. What do you get? 15 at best;) For the same effort. That said, it's still easy to run LOTS of stuff on air cooling and make pretty simple runs just for some medals and points, and that way get much more than 300 points. So we need a limit. The problem with this limit is that when it was created it kept the people go wanted to bench alot of stuff out of the top 20's. Now you're not even in top 200 lol.

To sum it up, there are two reasonable solutions:

1) Raise the limit to roughly top 20-30-level, like it was in the beginning.

2) Lower it to 0, so these two competitions are close to indepentant of each other.

I really hate it when I see my rank as 200th:rolleyes: Unranked would be MUCH better, as I really don't compete in that competition. If that's not possible, what about adding hardware master ranks to all profiles? Then you have both. Equal for all. Like this (in the case of Kingpin):

Rank

How are we ranked?

Worldwide Rank: #1 of 15873

Country Rank: #1 of 1249 in United States

Team Rank: #1 of 420 in XtremeSystems

[Missing part: Hardware rank:

Worldwide Rank: #N/A of N/A

Country Rank: #N/A of N/A in United States

Team Rank: #N/A of N/A in Xtremesystems]

What are points?

Total Points: 1564,6 (global points + max(hardware points, 300) )

Global Points: 1264,6

Hardware Points: 553,9 (limited to 300 points for total points)

The global score system is what I don't understand....... Not that I will ever score a global Lol. I know I have to be wrong in the way I understand it. There are only 18 benchmarks total. In order to get a global award you have to run any particular benchmark the fastest ever in the world... Am I correct? the next person that goes faster, takes your global away? So how the heck does anyone score more than 300 total points, because if you don't own a global it just becomes another hardware point.

Note that I'm not complaining. I just don't understand and have not found a FAQ, or anything else that explains it in depth. If there is such a thing, could someone link it.

The global score system is what I don't understand....... Not that I will ever score a global Lol. I know I have to be wrong in the way I understand it. There are only 18 benchmarks total. In order to get a global award you have to run any particular benchmark the fastest ever in the world... Am I correct? the next person that goes faster, takes your global away? So how the heck does anyone score more than 300 total points, because if you don't own a global it just becomes another hardware point.

Note that I'm not complaining. I just don't understand and have not found a FAQ, or anything else that explains it in depth. If there is such a thing, could someone link it.

globals carry a lot of weight, you dont have to be no1 to get them, just need to be in top 400 or so, the higher you are the nicer the boints too, if you have 10 benches all being in the top 100 for ex that will be a couple hundred points right there

Okay, Now I understand. They need a better explanation in the FAQ on how this all works. I may never get a global, I may never get much farther than I am right now, but I sure had a blast beating on my old junk. :D

never say never :)

excellent work too, 300+ points is awesome