HWBOT Community Forums

Is GB stealing my Mhz ?

• Crew

Is Gigabyte stealing my Mhz ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catchy title hu ?

Well what's the deal :

I was testing Gigabytes latest Z68 UD3H board and did some tests at 4.5Ghz. But for the database I also test the boards out of the box with the 2600K CPU at stock speeds. Only thing that I alter in the bios is :

- Set the ram divider to 1600Mhz and the ram timing to 8-8-8-24 1T TRFC 82

- Up ram voltage to 1.65 (if possible)

My setup :

stock retail 2600K, HT on

Thermalright VenomousX cooler

4GB Corsair Dominator 12800C8 rams

GTX 480 Videocard

Corsair AX1200W PSU

So what happens with a proper functioning 2600K :

When being stressed single threaded : it should go up to a max of 38...

What happens on my B3 UD5 and the Z68 : I get max multi of 35X

3500Turbo-1600.png

If I pop in the Asus and MSI board : I get 38X

I have flashed all possible (beta) biosses, popped the battery after a succesfull flash... But both the UD5 and UD3H seem to limit at 35X. Tried a Win7 and Win7 with SP1 install.

So if anyone has got a B3 motherboard, would you run it once at stock clocks with your 2600K and open the Turbo monitor tool. Then start a Superpi 32M... plz list me which Turbo multi you observe...

If you get 38X, plz post ya bios screens or PM them to me.. I tried all sorts of combos , but it always stops at 35X single threaded...

I already contacted my tech rep, but it might take a while... so it would be nice to see if other users have similar issues at stock clocks (yeah I know this is XS and noone runs stock) but this is a serious bios flaw and has to be urgently corrected !

Kind regards Goofball Leeghoofd

This one is for all the reviewers that crapped out, sold out and give awards for free !! And test close to nothing lol

Edited by Leeghoofd

• Crew

Nope , it did it out of the box with the retail 2600K CPU, only settings changed are the ram speed divider, the main timings (as it detects 9-9-9-27 1T) and the ram voltage...

Both my P67A UD5 B3 and the Z68 UD3H behave in a similar way when being loaded single threaded...

Both boards have been flashed over 5 times with newer (beta) biosses, cmoss resetted , heck even popped the battery for 15 minutes... no go...

• Crew

Some more testing with the Gskill Flares : seems the only correct working divider is 1333Mhz.

3800Turbo-1333.png

1600-2133 stop at 3500Mhz

3500Turbo-1866.png

3500Turbo-2133.png

Conclusion : Dino fails

Total Failing scores :

Leeghoofd 10 - 1 Dino

Edited by Leeghoofd

• Crew

It seems GB implemented the AUTO bios setting for the C states from 1600Mhz divider to disabled. Only 1066 and 1333 will be enabled if AUTO is selected. This to enhance ram compatibility (they say).

The bios engineers spotted the issue quite rapdily ( as they themselves implemented it ofc lol)

Solution is to either force it manually or that they change it in the bios...

My point is that the normal end user is not required to change this stuff as this should work properly out of the box... enahncing stability okay, but at the cost of 200-300mhz seems an awkward workaround...

But thanks Dino for the ahum Live support :)

Edited by Leeghoofd

• Crew

And it's not over yet :P

Did the basic suite, some impressive numbers

Asus P67 Dlx vs GB Z68 UD3H

Wprime 1024 : 202 secs vs 214

Cinebench : 25126 vs 22802

PcMark05: 14212 vs 12221

Vantage : 20479 vs 19957

Gonna hook up the M4E to the same OS, either it is completely borked now or the Turbo is still somehow somewhere limited...

Running OC'ed I get similar numbers than the other boards... it's just at stock that it goes completely nuts...

• Crew
could it be because the 2600k only offically supports 1333 ram, and if anybody has the know how to set up their ram over that speed they would not be running that chip at stock anyway?

So why do all the other vendors support 1600-1866 and even 2133 with full turbos...

Got a new beta bios to try out, will report back to see if it performs as it should without manual intervention...

• Crew
could it be because the 2600k only offically supports 1333 ram, and if anybody has the know how to set up their ram over that speed they would not be running that chip at stock anyway?

So why do all the other vendors support 1600-1866 and even 2133 with full turbos ? Why limit the Trubo speed of your CPU when you use 1600mhz ?

Got a new beta bios to try out, will report back to see if it performs as it should without manual intervention...

This one is for all the reviewers that crapped out, sold out and give awards for free !! And test close to nothing lol

Quoting this because it's true.

FFS, it's a (small) bug on stock settings. How come no other reviewer caught this. People need to step up their game ...

So why do all the other vendors support 1600-1866 and even 2133 with full turbos ? Why limit the Trubo speed of your CPU when you use 1600mhz ?

So true.

Concerning for non K users. I guess they won't be reaching full speed any time soon.

Yea it's the same for me, but i thought it was normal as the 2x00k will only goto the max turbo frequency when only one thread is loaded ?

When all 4/8 threads are loaded it will use a x35 multiplier. If i've misunderstood then i want a BIOS update!

Either way though, i never see it clock higher than 3500Mhz (I run at stock apart from when benchmarking)

Edited by jackbrennan2008

And it's not over yet :P

Did the basic suite, some impressive numbers

Asus P67 Dlx vs GB Z68 UD3H

Wprime 1024 : 202 secs vs 214

Cinebench : 25126 vs 22802

PcMark05: 14212 vs 12221

Vantage : 20479 vs 19957

Gonna hook up the M4E to the same OS, either it is completely borked now or the Turbo is still somehow somewhere limited...

Running OC'ed I get similar numbers than the other boards... it's just at stock that it goes completely nuts...

Yes, it known bug of ASUS boards .... because their implemented Turbo by the own way. On Asus board @ default are ALL cores at 3.8 GHz ... you have to disable that feature at first

nice they delivered a fix. But for the people who actually run default settings and are effected by this shortcomming, it's useless.

It only helps for them when the board is shipped with a bios that's correct right from the beginning. People who run auto settings don't upgrades bios'es.

btw nice spotted Albrecht :)

Got a new bios from GB (excellent job lads), Turbo issues seem to be solved... will ask if I'm allowed to share.... Let's hope they rectify the situation for the UD5 B3 too... (and other boards if needed)

what do you mean, same sort of thing for UD5? P67A?