HWBOT Community Forums

Getting honor back into the game

M.Beier

I am naive, you are likely to smile and laugh... none the less...

I suggest that the overclocking community stands together and tell marketing to back off...

Alot of well known overclockers, and some more new and "coloured" have showed impressive CPU-z results on a particular motherboard lately - a board that isnt really build for CPU-z, but for REAL overclocking..

I suggest that a contest that is near impossible to monitor and control, therefor no prize for winning, nor big fancy press annoucements made - remove all things that can BIAS vendors...

A contest by the overclockers, for the overclockers....

Wprime 1024

Rules;

No specific vendor required

No cpu given by a motherboard vendor or Intel allowed

Time to see what R3E, R3EB, X58A-OC really is made of, and not just what PR divisions wants to see....

And you are right; Hicookie or AndreYang etc. they could send a fantastic chip to some overclocker who could say it is his own find - so it is a matter of honor, hope that a few overclockers out there has more ethics then going that low :)

Cheers, and please leave your input, yes; I know that half of you are laughing by now.

No no no!

This is a terrible idea Marc.

Let me put some common sense, logic and proper methodology in your head:

First of all, find a very very good 980X/990X ES ( like Hicookie's ). Done ? Next step:

Go to a retailer and buy the following:

Asus Rampage III Extreme

Asus Rampage III Extreme Black Edition

eVGA X58 Classified ( E760 )

eVGA X58 Classified 3 ( E770 )

Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC

MSI Big Bang Xpower X58

Step 3:

Send all the above hardware to me.

Give me 3 weeks and I'll come back with the results in all areas and every benchmark from every mobo.

Then you can make a conclusion :D

Well..... nice idea in theory

Don't we see this every day? "Mortals" posting up their results with gear they've bought themselves?

I'm not against the idea, just not entirely sure what the "point" is.... get the big names to go out and buy their own gear?

"Honor/ honour" is more than saying "no" if a marketing person asks you to spend half an hour on CPU-Z in exchange for a better working relationship/ hardware supply feed.

Edited by K404

Well..... nice idea in theory

Don't we see this every day? "Mortals" posting up their results with gear they've bought themselves?

I'm not against the idea, just not entirely sure what the "point" is.... get the big names to go out and buy their own gear?

"Honor/ honour" is more than saying "no" if a marketing person asks you to spend half an hour on CPU-Z in exchange for a better working relationship/ hardware supply feed.

I just got a feeling that some has been asked not to do more then CPU-z.... I see alot of 6.7-7.1ghz posts on XS, on facebook, but I dont see them followed by a test of which actually is CPU intense...

Not many days ago Gigabyte even had an event in Montreal souly with the purpose of running CPU-z... I mean, come on...

7GHz Gulftown is nice, but only worth 49.9 hardware points

Conspiracy theory:

X58A-OC has weak PWM and can't handle wP/ Vantage.

I think the X58A-OC is a strong board, unfortunately the PR division either dont agree or simply dont consider stability of interest.

If I had a product that on paper rapes everything else on the market, I would be eager to reveal it - to show off, to make the jaws drop... Not something that every single board can do...

7ghz CPU-z with the right chip, a UD3R can do just as well as the OC board...

... Im not saying that Gigabyte marketing made this call, but I am suggesting that HWBot as the leading competition site should consider making a little something.

You're biased.

Or are you?

:confused:

Biased ? Towards what ?

Nah, never.

I have no problem admitting that I dislike the MSI X58s with passion, but also have no problem to tell the truth if ( God forbid ) the MSI board ( or any other board that I may dislike for reasonable or unreasonable reasons ) in testing excels the competitors that it's better.

... Im not saying that Gigabyte marketing made this call.

You kinda are.... or at least implying it.

It *is* kinda weird that a bunch of overclockers with good GT would suddenly abandon all benchmarks bar CPU-Z.....

Well I am honestly not onto only GT...

Even the oldies with 4 cores are qualified... Just a REAL test, and WITHOUT motherboard limitation, only limitation is trying to remove the seeded results... I believe that many of the blokes out there with chips from the vendors will keep away, or use another chip.

6GHz+ 3D benching is still there. The reason why you don't see so many 6GHz+ Pi scores is the well known problem of 990X/new 980X crapping out well below the wPrime/CPUtest-stable clocks. I know 7GHz chips that can't even run 1M at 6.2

As for wPrime, I think we already got that maxed in the last 980X wPrime contest :)

Maybe, just maybe your all barking up wrong tree. It's quite possible the OC board is eating chips and has no ocing/performance issues. It's just a cookie monster ;)

Didn't eat any of mine but I never tested it beyond phase.

• Crew

what i want to see is someone with quite a high CPU, like 6.8'er cpu-z

then test that same cpu on R3E , R3BE, 58-OC, and UD9.

See what is 1m stable, cpu-z , vantage cpu test. Then that would give us a nice indication of how strong which board is. Because so far we've only seen nice chips on individual boards.

Need 1 cpu crosstested :)

See what is 1m stable, cpu-z , vantage cpu test. Then that would give us a nice indication of how strong which board is. Because so far we've only seen nice chips on individual boards. One cpu tested across allot of boards

Some extreme comparisons!

This!

A good CPU in a capable board is a good CPU.... but without comparison, it has little context or meaning...... maybe that awesome showcase mobo is actually holding it back from being better still!

See what is 1m stable, cpu-z , vantage cpu test. Then that would give us a nice indication of how strong which board is. Because so far we've only seen nice chips on individual boards.

Need 1 cpu crosstested :)

yes but what if you use .05grams more tim on board B of the group or mount is slightly different. too many variables imo to compare like that. :) just imo

yes but what if you use .05grams more tim on board B of the group or mount is slightly different. too many variables imo to compare like that. :) just imo

Which is why when you test you do a CPC comparison and hope that both boards acchieve the same speeds.

If you look around I compared both boards at the same clocks..........I just didn't include a fancy graph with both. moral of story, they trade blows.

haha i only benched CPUz b/c its all i know how to bench LOL. Anyways i know what I might say has nothing to do with any of this, but other than the price of the OC board I find it to be great all around. BIOSes can change up times(the smallest bit), and didn't hicookie do a wprime run at like 6.5?

BTW CPUz is worth points.