HWBOT Community Forums

separate global and hardware scores?

K404

This is only a vague idea. Im sure theres consequences i've not thought of so...feel free to tear it apart.

Would it be beneficial to separate the global rankings from the hardware rankings?

Its possible to get 300 hardware points using no hardware from the last 3 years. 300 points gives a global ranking around 200th place. That says (relistically unofficially) that someone is 200th best in the world, GLOBALLY, with results that can mean nothing because of the age of the hardware.

Its also possible for someone to bench a few categories with... say.... a GTX295 and be spanked in the global ranking by someone using gear thats generations behind.

If the global leaderboard was changed in that way, would it be possible to use averages to determine rankings?

e.g... if I had a global ranking like....32, 44, 18, 58, 102 and 60 then my global ranking would be 52nd or 53rd. Maybe weight it slightly towards the latest benches?

Just ideas :)

K

This is only a vague idea. Im sure theres consequences i've not thought of so...feel free to tear it apart.

Would it be beneficial to separate the global rankings from the hardware rankings?

Its possible to get 300 hardware points using no hardware from the last 3 years. 300 points gives a global ranking around 200th place. That says (relistically unofficially) that someone is 200th best in the world, GLOBALLY, with results that can mean nothing because of the age of the hardware.

Its also possible for someone to bench a few categories with... say.... a GTX295 and be spanked in the global ranking by someone using gear thats generations behind.

If the global leaderboard was changed in that way, would it be possible to use averages to determine rankings?

e.g... if I had a global ranking like....32, 44, 18, 58, 102 and 60 then my global ranking would be 52nd or 53rd. Maybe weight it slightly towards the latest benches?

Just ideas :)

K

...or, to look at it from a different standpoint, you can work your ass off, producing scores no-one would ever imagine yould be possible on that old gear, but what do you get? 200th place (beaten by a bunch of people who have access to extreme cooling + hw, and only fill up the pots to get great scores), when you deserve to be in top 5 because of great skill;)