HWBOT Community Forums

"Overclocking is getting too expensive"

Massman

Wow. The €1100 was sold too? :eek:

If I would have the money - I would honestly consider buying a pre-tested chip after having 20 pieces of crap...I myself have invested 1000€+ in B1tches (2500K/2600K) and all I have is 5670 3D...I could have saved the money and buy that...just a question of calculation either way.

You CAN be lucky, but you CAN buy such CPU pretested also - everybody needs to decide. I wouldn't point the finger on people paying such prices - they know what they buy.

I think it makes sense to pay that much. Say you lose $20 pr SB you buy and sell. You need to buy about 10 chips to get a 5600 (on average), and about 25 to get 5700. 5750... if I say about 36 I think that's a decent estimate. Then you need to pau $20x35+$300=$1000 if you want to bin it yourself, on average (loss pr CPU* # of CPUs sold + one CPU that you keep). $750 for a 5750 chip seems allright to me :) For a 5700 one... well, maybe not so much (I guess $500-600 would be more reasonable).

If a 2600K can boot to windows @ 57X but not 58X then it definitely will work from 5705 to 5798Mhz 4C/4T with 5850 as a barrier Mhz....provided all necessary cooling and hardwares already set.

Some 57X chip can't bench 4C/8T HT on at that Mhz. range though

Edited by dumo

Actually, truth is they don't. It's amazing how many people have said to me that they bought a pre-tested CPU or VGA that didn't do the promised speeds.

"Results may vary" - right? :)

saying "it does XXX mhz" and really proofing and giving a guarantee on a certain clock are 2 pair shoes...

I wouldn't pay a cent for a 5900+ chip without insurance and hard proof. if you buy pre-tested crap from some stupid forum kids trying to make some money - yes you will most likely end up like you've written...but that's not what we are talking about - we are talking about "professional-pretesting" like shops in germany have done before successfull and HONEST.

Most if not all of those 57X, 58X or 59X chips for sale already been posted here http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16541 complete with batch and serial #s info.....or here http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu-z/rankings?start=14&hardwareTypeId=processor_2277#interval=50

So far less than 90 pieces considering probly more than 1 submission used the same cpu

Edited by dumo

If the seller doesn't care about his reputation, he can easily slip away with such a crime.

He may send you another CPU, and once you're stuck at 5700ish for example instead of 5850 he might say anything to you, hey you're not tweaking the BIOS right, hey, you need to try it on X mobo, perhaps your pot isn't making good contact with the CPU, oh, you gave it too much voltage and degraded it. etc etc

The buyer should know that a "57X windows bootable 2600K" means cpu will either works @ 5705 max or 5750 max or 5799 max..not 5800.10Mhz and definitely not on air or regular water cooling.

No ifs or buts about it.

Edited by dumo

=( I've spend lots of effort$ to find a good bridge (just not to name it the way it deserves) and I still don't have even a x56 cpu... Here in Brazil a Retail CPU costs about $600 at retail stores!!! I would easily easily EASILY pay a little bit more to have a better cpu than I ever found here.

As far as I searched for in hwbot ranks, I only saw 2 cpus at x56 in Brazil (probably they belonged to more than one OCer)... with a x57 CPU I would have all national records of superpi, pifast and 3d01 just out of the box... =(

While that doesn't happen I'll keep the search for the holy grail.. I mean, for a good bridge

• 2 weeks later...

To me, is not unfair to pay 1000 USD in a golden chip (or more...1200...1500)...

To me is unfair to pay 500 USD in a garbage chip, and 7 USD per liter LN2, and still never be touched at least a 5700 chip.

To an overclocking lovers, sometimes will be better to take a reliable good chip than test and test and test and spend and spend and spend time, money and LN2 trying...and never get a good one...

If somebody haves a really good chip, is just PM...rsrsrsrsrs...

I agree....

P.S. if I got a 5900 chip, i do not sell for USD2000...

P.S. 2.... no...i am not a rich guy...i live in a very small and simple apartment...have an old car...I have no expensive clothes...I only go to simple places...and the only thing i spend money is to support my family and to overclock that I like.

Edited by rbuass

To me, is not unfair to pay 1000 USD in a golden chip (or more...1200...1500)...

To me is unfair to pay 500 USD in a garbage chip, and 7 USD per liter LN2, and still never be touched at least a 5700 chip.

To an overclocking lovers, sometimes will be better to take a reliable good chip than test and test and test and spend and spend and spend time, money and LN2 trying...and never get a good one...

If somebody haves a really good chip, is just PM...rsrsrsrsrs...

I agree....

P.S. if I got a 5900 chip, i do not sell for USD2000...

P.S. 2.... no...i am not a rich guy...i live in a very small and simple apartment...have an old car...I have no expensive clothes...I only go to simple places...and the only thing i spend money is to support my family and to overclock that I like.

fabi is benching her own hardware? she has her own 580lightning and 580platinum?

Its like buying lottery ticket. Some peep just bought one ticket and won millions, some bought a bunch and got nothing. Others buy lotto everyday and won small prices here and there, but haven't win a big ones.

Edited by dumo