HWBOT Community Forums

Multithreaded Pi Program on XS

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221773

25 million digits in 8.46 seconds on a 4GHz skulltrail!!!

1 billion digits in 7 minutes and 52 seconds on 2 x 2.80GHz Gainestown!!! - That's almost as fast as the record 32m SuperPi time...

Believe it or not, this IS a multithreaded program that will compute Pi.

Single threaded, it destroys superpi and is as fast as PiFast.

Multi-threaded, it destroys it PiFast.

The latest version even has anti-cheat protection and validation.

So apparently, Pi CAN be multithreaded.

If it's going to be added, then the slowest test should take about 2-3 min. at least - since it's multithreaded (no need for another 2 sec benchmark...), and the slowest one 1h++

There are too few benchmarks here that need some time to finish - even superpi32m is over almost before you've started it:(

If it's going to be added, then the slowest test should take about 2-3 min. at least - since it's multithreaded (no need for another 2 sec benchmark...), and the slowest one 1h++

There are too few benchmarks here that need some time to finish - even superpi32m is over almost before you've started it:(

That program has 9 different bench sizes ranging from 25 million to 10 billion digits. So you can take your pick. :)

But for all practical purposes, the most that can be done with current hardware is 1 billion digits. Any higher and memory becomes prohibitive.

The largest bench size at 10 billion digits took 2 hours on the author's dual 3.2GHz harpertowns. But nobody has been able to match that because it requires 46GB of ram.

I highly doubt that the author expected anyone to have that much ram. So I'm guessing his reason for taking it so high is for future systems, or for stress-testing servers.

Apparently, the program can go MUCH higher than 10 billion digits, but he only has enough ram to test it up to 10 billion.

chance is very slim this will be added, we already have Pifast, SuperPi and Wprime for 2D performance

I don't see how you can compare PiFast and SuperPi with this y-cruncher program.

PiFast and SuperPi are both single-threaded.

y-cruncher is multithreaded.

Also, this program is "more realistic" than wprime in terms of application performance. It isn't perfectly threaded like wprime, but it still does it very well.

There's been quite a few forums that want to see this on hwbot. I say we give it a chance.

The thing is, over the past few years a lot of people have been crying out for a multithreaded pi program. But most attempts so far had been either complete failures or were obscenely slow. QuickPi is an interesting exception because it is very fast to begin with, but it doesn't scale very well.

So we finally have the answer. This thing is fast even on one thread and is a monster on multiple threads...

Also, the author is "still alive" and maintaining the program. So unlike SuperPi and PiFast, it can still be easily updated.

Edited by allegratorial
fixed some factual errors

ic.

So it wouldn't matter if the program is more suitable and up-to-date with current hardware. (as far as I can tell, this program has support for 64-bit and SSE)

What's the whole idea of having 5 versions of 3DMark?

Has richba5tard taken a look of this? Or are you speaking for him?

the requirements outlined are those for a bench to be able to be used by HWBot with good success.

The program appears to satisfy all but the last one in that list. (And maybe the first one too, but I'm not sure what you mean by easy launch button.)

If you'd like, you can contact the author directly:

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/

(bottom of the page)

But seeing as how HWbot isn't interested in another Pi program, this probably doesn't really matter.

One bench that needs to be added is one that lasts 1h+ for current CPUs. We had it in the past, but not anymore:rolleyes:

This is probably besides the point, but the program can compute other (slower) constants. The two slowest constants that the program can do will take a skulltrail system more than 3 hours to bench 1 billion digits. Again these can go well above 10 billion digits - limited only by memory. According to the author (on his website), computing these slower constants to >10 billion digits will take days. So length of benchmark isn't an issue.

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/benchmarks/v0.2.1/eulergamma.html

According to his website, the author does have plans for light-weight GUI. When will it come, it doesn't say.

As far as consistency goes between versions, that is unlikely to happen as the program was clearly written for speed. But if HWbot takes it up, it'll more than likely that he will maintain a separate version that will be consistent - sorta like what wprime does by keeping version 1.55.

Also, this program is "more realistic" than wprime in terms of application performance. It isn't perfectly threaded like wprime, but it still does it very well.

this is a dream, 99% of all SW is singlethreaded.

There's been quite a few forums that want to see this on hwbot. I say we give it a chance.

lol, let the author speak for itself... ;)

The thing is, over the past few years a lot of people have been crying out for a multithreaded pi program. But all attempts so far had been either complete failures or were obscenely slow.

sure, true?, who i don't. there are very well multi-PI programms out there. example QPI.

So we finally have the answer. This thing is fast even on one thread and is a monster on multiple threads...

thread's means (while calc.PI with chudnovsky) variable load on system. not good.

strong influence of used OS.

Also, the author is "still alive" and maintaining the program. So unlike SuperPi and PiFast, it can still be updated.

there are much more PI programms *alive

According to his website, the author does have plans for light-weight GUI. When will it come, it doesn't say.

As far as consistency goes between versions, that is unlikely to happen as the program was clearly written for speed. But if HWbot takes it up, it'll more than likely that he will maintain a separate version that will be consistent - sorta like what wprime does by keeping version 1.55.

keep in mind, that speed it's not that needed as you think.

this also counts for used memory ammount, isn't needed at all.

classical appl. are singleth. and has an overall memory alloc. from 0-100mb. this stands

for 99% of all used appl.

y-cruncher good for getting worldrecords by calc. XXXXXG digits of PI.

not more, not less ;-)

cu

What would be nice to have is a program that would work this way: rank based on number of pi digits computed in (fixed time) seconds. That one would last "forever", since the score would increse with time, not approach zero, as we see with superpi 1m, and especially wprime32m. No idea if that's doable with this app, though...

I like that idea. :) makes it more like 3DMark.

It probably isn't doable directly, but it something more like a binary search sort might work to find the largest computation that can be done in say xx minutes.

I'll ask author about this to see if he is interested.

One problem I can forsee right off the bat is that faster computers might not have enough ram to do it.

Suppose the benchmark is to find the largest computation that can be done in xx minutes, there will be a problem if the largest computation that will fit into ram is shorter than that.

I like that idea. :) makes it more like 3DMark.

It probably isn't doable directly, but it something more like a binary search sort might work to find the largest computation that can be done in say xx minutes.

I'll ask author about this to see if he is interested.

One problem I can forsee right off the bat is that faster computers might not have enough ram to do it.

Suppose the benchmark is to find the largest computation that can be done in xx minutes, there will be a problem if the largest computation that will fit into ram is shorter than that.

But I guess it's not the intention that all tests on HWBot can be run on any CPU back to 486's, so as long as it won't need more than 4GB I think it's ok.

Here's the relevant part of his response.

(I've re-worded a few things to fill in the context.)

It's an interesting idea, but it deviates too far from the original goals as a research project:

1. Break [a few world records] and provide some more numerical evidence on the irrationality of [Catalan's Constant] and [Euler's Constant].

2. Show that high-precision arithmetic can be efficiently paralleled.

3. Make a decent multi-threaded Pi-program.

As for the memory problem... lol... I would say it'd be pretty bad. The longest thing I can fit comfortably under 6GB of ram takes like ~12 minutes on [dual X5482]...

I can't expect everyone to have more than 6GB right now since few people will overkill on ram.

So I guess that's a no.