HWBOT Community Forums

hwboints vs. "??boints"

Having an overall user score totaling all of a users accomplishments is good, but maybe it may be good to also total the points from only the users top benchmark in each benchmark, to facilitate competing within the benchmarks rather than only running loads of benchmarks.

For example I am in 271'st place with 14.2 points, but I could easily raise that just by benchmarking everything I lay my hands on. To raise my personal score I would have no issue with that, but it would be nice to know my score based on my top results only.

signature.img?t=1&uid=5266&iehack=.png

Oh, and you'll notice my X1600XT's in aquamark are referred to as only being one card in the signature image generator. I assume thats a bug?

In principle this would be easy to implement, just adding the global ranking boints and leaving hw boints out. It would be interesting imo too, especially comparing the resulting ranking with the original. However, having many kinds of rankings would make things more complicated for the users and distract interest from the main ranking.

I agree many rankings is confusing, but the point is to show who has the most overall points using only top score from each benchmark rather than who has benched the most equipment.

Personal points are fine, but they should really be for the user to use as reference, not for other people to use as comparison.

To get hw boints one has to get to the top5 in that hw category. hw boints are also weighted by the popularity of the category, so benching with some very exotic hw gives max 2 boints per ranking. Also please notice that global ranking boints are only awarded once per user. E.g. if the user breaks his old X1900 scores with 8800GTX scores, the boints for for the X1900 scores usually get lower as the global ranking portions of them are taken away.

imho there is plenty of merit in getting big hw boints.

Also please notice that global ranking boints are only awarded once per user. E.g. if the user breaks his old X1900 scores with 8800GTX scores, the boints for for the X1900 scores usually get lower as the global ranking portions of them are taken away.

I'm confused, I do remember coding it that way. Did we agree to this up front and did i forget, or is this a bug on my behalf that accidentally is wanted behaviour?

- edit -

After inspecting the rankings, I can confirm mtzki's explenation is correct. For each benchmark ranking, you can gain global hwboints only once, with the exception of videocard related benchmark rankings, where both in single as in sli points can be recieved.

hardware points can be recieved once for each piece of hw you have, which is fair too.

I honestly don't remember coding it that way, but it's pretty fair. :D

Yeah lol, it's funny that I don't remember me coding it that way. It's fair, I agree.

I would really like to increase the points you get for getting a good score in a hw category. If you are the first out of 1000 others with your 7900GT, your should recieve much more than 10 points. It's not as if it were easy, it's damn hard. I think you should recieve at least 20 points, because it's equally hard to get in the top 10 with a 8800GTX (+- 20 to 25 points).

Yeah lol, it's funny that I don't remember me coding it that way. It's fair, I agree.

I would really like to increase the points you get for getting a good score in a hw category. If you are the first out of 1000 others with your 7900GT, your should recieve much more than 10 points. It's not as if it were easy, it's damn hard. I think you should recieve at least 20 points, because it's equally hard to get in the top 10 with a 8800GTX (+- 20 to 25 points).

The global boints are based on the global rankings and one can only have a single position in those rankings. So to get it wrong you would have had to do some serious extra work hehe.

I kinda agree that 20 boints max could be ok. But it could also lead to some top clockers to milk these "secondary" hw categories. Like owning 7900GT and 7900GT SLI categories would give almost 200 boints, then doing the same for 6600GT and so on...

I suggest that we think long and hard about needed changes to the boints definitions and release version 2 of the definitions some day. One thing i would like to change is giving a much longer or infinite tail part for the global boints awarding so that users would always get at least a tiny amount of boints for every ranking where they have results. And also changing the hardware boints to work the same way so that every submission for a new hw category would give at least sth.

yep I agree, the current system is fair, but it could be improved a bit...

For some catergories, people should get more boints, I can give an example with my personal hw, I have 11900marks in 3Dmarks 05 with à X1900GT & opty 165, which was really hard to achieve because all the scores up me are C2D. The thing is that I've overclocked my X1900GT far more than they have, but they got the points for their CPU's (except for one)... I think we should give a little amount of points for frequency results, we need something like CPU-Z for graphic cards :)