HWBOT Community Forums

All you FX reviewers did it wrong !!

Leeghoofd

• Crew
... To be honest AMD would have been happy to have everyone review with a selection of hand picked benchmarks which take advantage of the multi-threaded perfomance (and new instructions) of the FX and do it on Win 8... but that doesnt give a fair representation of what the average user will get.

For the games, i'm confident that our results will be more correct than other sites. Various reasons for that, many of which involve the tests/practices other sites use, so I wont go over that all again.

Shame on all of you !!

Edited by Leeghoofd

I will add this one to my FX Bulldozer Review list.

Have a look at the other hardware tested it's all recommended top notch, etc... sorry but this site has overdone themselves this time....

We all know that well:

[RANT] How to make sure your awards/reviews are totally meaningless: Hardwareheaven.net

Edited by Christian Ney

• Crew
But on the other hand, isn't it a bit weird to beat the CPU to death when there is a KNOWN OS bug that cripples the performance? OK, it won't rape the high end, but it could be a good bang for the buck chip once these issues are solved by m$.

I tested win 8 and it gives a tiny bit better performance due to improved task scheduler over Win7. Improvements : 1-4%, it still doesn't cut it at all... new word is the disabling of cores/threads to boost performance and lower power draw...

Edited by Leeghoofd

There are two areas where the FX-8150 excells though, those are gaming and overclocking. In the former we saw the processor give us improved framerates over the Intel model. In the latter the ability to exceed 5GHz with ease offers additional value for money. In fact AMD have indicated that they expect most users to exceed 4.8GHz on air cooling.

Bulldozer excells in overclocking, but in the next line they write SB will do 5G on air whereas the BD only does 4.8G.

What a joke of a review site.

AMD Responds (as you'd expect marketing to respond). I read the 1st page of comments. Guess what the first response to negative game tests was? Can you guess??

I’ve seen a large variance in gaming scores with recent reviews. We’re going to analyze the discrepancy between the different results we have seen posted.

I’ve looked at the Anand review and have asked our labs to look at using a HD 5870 (we used the latest 6970 in grabbing alot of our preliminary data).

If you look at the most current game on his graph, RAGE, AMD FX does quite well vs the 2500K and looks like if you cap the game to 7 threads it equals the 2600K (the score seems to get worse on the 8 core??)

Other reviews can point a different story ex: HardwareHeaven using an HD 6950: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg10/amd-fx-8150-black-edition-8-core-processor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-deus-ex-human-revolution.html

I’ve even seen the same game, like F1 2011 score differently b/w 4 different reviews with us looking really bad in some, and tying or leading in others.

One thing that has remained consistent is that we look good in BF3, across all the reviews (losing at default in HardOCPs to a i7, but besting both the i7 and i5 in all the others)

If there are games you currently play or are planning to play – I’d recommend at getting a collection of reviews together that best match your hardware and make your choice.

(Emphasis mine.)

Yep, we all did it wrong.

(Disclaimer re: awards from the first post - I gave it an Overclockers Approved, but that means simply "The product performs well at stock and at overclocking, for modding, etc. where relevant. It isn’t necessarily the best of its type, but it performs well enough that we could recommend it with a clear conscience." ...and at $245, I would be able to do just that. At the $280 they're going for now - not so much; no way. If that was the MSRP I could not recommend it with a clear conscience. If you actually read the review, you'll see my benchmark section & conclusion is similar to others.)

• Crew

I have no issues if anyone recommends it, that's your own choice. And most reviewers iwll prolly have a good reason/conclusion to back it up.

But the site mentioned in the OP is getting a bit famous here at Hwbot with their ratings and awards.

Some extracts : The review itself says the that the price is not good atm , yet they give it a value award, beats me how that lines up...The OCing comment is marvellous too...

Games have been nicely run at almost exactly AMD specs, trash the GPU and you get similar results accross most CPUs...

This CPU is not as bad as many think for daily users, most biggest issue is the heatoutput and powerusage... and yes it's still way overpriced... for benchers it is worthless...

And for the AMD blog they have to tell us something don't they... and everyone tests a game at different way, you can't compare results unless there's a build in benchmark thingy (that's gives a reliable output)... so his comments are a bit silly...

Edited by Leeghoofd

• Crew
I have no issues if anyone recommends it, that's your own choice. And most reviewers iwll prolly have a good reason/conclusion to back it up.

But the site mentioned in the OP is getting a bit famous here at Hwbot with their ratings and awards.

Some extracts : The review itself says the that the price is not good atm , yet they give it a value award, beats me how that lines up...The OCing comment is marvellous too...

Games have been nicely run at almost exactly AMD specs, trash the GPU and you get similar results accross most CPUs...

My own opinion : This CPU is not as bad as many think for daily users. Biggest issue is the heatoutput and powerusage... and yes it's still way overpriced... for us benchers it is worthless... besides a CPU-Z validation...

And for the AMD blog they have to tell us something don't they... and everyone tests a game at different way, you can't compare results unless there's a build in benchmark thingy (that's gives a reliable output)... so his comments are a bit silly...

• Crew

I made a similar comment yesterday at the blog PJ that numbers with a more powerfull card can give a totally different outcome. I stated that with the 6970 things start to get very GPU limited. Guess what : post are still under moderation

Edited by Leeghoofd

• 3 weeks later...
  • Crew

Ah they closed the thread, the moderator got bored with the argumentations...

Best comments of the forum posts :

-All them game tests on Intel SB are false coz they have an onboard GPU and it plays a part in the FPS...

-AMD FX roxors with multiple GPU setups, the minimum FPS is brilliant...

-Nvidia Drivers cripples explicitly SLI on AMD platforms...

-Power consumption is okay if you only play a few hours per day...

-Windows 8 task scheduler will bring BD up to Intel level and beyond...

-Why don't reviewers test real applications or optimised software...

-Next year with all the software optimalisations this CPU will rock...

SIGH...

Edited by Leeghoofd

-Windows 8 task scheduler will bring BD up to Intel level and beyond...

-Next year with all the software optimalisations this CPU will rock...

Lol too funny....

The best thing for AMD to happen next year is that they might survive another year...reading about the people they fired lately is a very bad sign...

Uhmm, in fact you did it all worng...you wasted enough time to do a review =))) For us a preview was more then enough to realise how much time Dozer deserves....Heck, this makes Phenom I brilliant (because it did bring extra performance compared to older architecture), and GTX 480 the top notch of cuantinc engineering (because despite it's huge power consumption and heat levels it actually was a very strong GPU). When you think about it like that....oooooh boy.....:)