HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT OC Challenge December 2011 thread.

Earthdog

Now instead of 'bagging 1st place scores, they will 'bag 4th place scores? Im not quite sure how this helps the bagging issue personally...but Im tired, so fill me in!

GL teams!

EDIT: Geez - How did I start a thread? I thought this was a thread and I was posting in it?!!!

Edited by Earthdog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck figuring out what score you need for 4th place :P
Worse than 3rd and better than 5th = 4th. Not to difficult to............ O I *think* I C what u did thur!

Still though, just takes a system available at towards the end to shoehorn a time in...or have several scores bagged...Interesting. I appreciate the effort to deter this regardless!

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Edited by Earthdog

Worse than 3rd and better than 5th = 4th. Not to difficult to............ O I *think* I C what u did thur!

Still though, just takes a system available at towards the end to shoehorn a time in...or have several scores bagged...Interesting. I appreciate the effort to deter this regardless!

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Frederik also pointed that out to me today: it doesn't really "solve" sandbagging. It just makes the whole process a little more complicated.

Luckily, the monthly OC Challenges are for fun mostly ... we can experiment with this kind of stuff :D

How about "resubmissions"?

If you figure out towards the end of this competition that you've gone too fast, and want to resubmit a slower run, will the system allow you to do that?

Hm, the engine will always pick your best result. Maybe we can solve this by adding an extention to the HCE to use your 'last' result in the ranking.

We'll check for that tomorrow.

Hm, the engine will always pick your best result. Maybe we can solve this by adding an extention to the HCE to use your 'last' result in the ranking.

We'll check for that tomorrow.

I think you were commenting off the cuff here, and hadn't thought this through until the end - To prohibit people from frantically scrambling for 4th place with lower submissions, only higher submissions should be ranked in the competition. Until the last second, all 4 top teams would be manipulating their submissions to be higher than 5 and lower than 3rd. Worse yet, if we go by the last result submitted for the ranking, while the top teams are wrestling over 4th place by constantly resubmitting scores, another team is submitting random scores of their own, making it nearly impossible to tell what the true ranking is, and at the last minute they too attempt to sniper 4th at the last minute.

So basically, the way the rules are now are better than using the "last" result in the ranking. If only higher scores are permitted, each team's only option to win is going up, and we're all here for higher scores and winning.

As is, like you said this doesn't stop anyone from sandbagging, but it makes it a bit more complicated. :)

I think you were commenting off the cuff here, and hadn't thought this through until the end - To prohibit people from frantically scrambling for 4th place with lower submissions, only higher submissions should be ranked in the competition. Until the last second, all 4 top teams would be manipulating their submissions to be higher than 5 and lower than 3rd. Worse yet, if we go by the last result submitted for the ranking, while the top teams are wrestling over 4th place by constantly resubmitting scores, another team is submitting random scores of their own, making it nearly impossible to tell what the true ranking is, and at the last minute they too attempt to sniper 4th at the last minute.

So basically, the way the rules are now are better than using the "last" result in the ranking. If only higher scores are permitted, each team's only option to win is going up, and we're all here for higher scores and winning.

As is, like you said this doesn't stop anyone from sandbagging, but it makes it a bit more complicated. :)

er, uhh yea what he said :D

WTF what's the point of the new ranking ? Now all have backups and uploading the scores in the last min. Now we have arrived ebay, who make the last submission win the stage. Nice one... i think we are here to overclocking the components to the limit and make the highest score to win a stage and not for make a bagging war -.-