HWBOT Community Forums

Suggestion: Turn on Database Read Marking for forums

I often miss updates to threads on HWBot, because unread threads are automatically marked as read a few hours after I visit the site - this is a normal function of vBulletin when it uses cookie based thread marking. When database based thread marking is enabled, threads are only marked as read after they are actually read - this makes it simpler to be sure you don't miss updates.

Database based marking can affect performance - on Overclockers forums, there was no performance impact when I switched them over to database based marking.

Dunno if it makes sense for you guys to do here, but I thought I'd suggest it, as its really worked nicely on Overclockers.

Is it possible to have both options? I kinda don't like it this way, before it was very easy to find new posts - now I have to look closely at all the dates - not to mention remember when I logged in the last time.

I don't know why the "new post" stuff won't go away after I read the threads, that SHOULD happen in both cases, no? The way it is now the whole feature is completely useless:p

First press "mark all read", then everything is back to normal.

Right-O.

Read threads are handled horribly by default in vbulletin, but most everyone is used to it because most forums use the default. With the default cookie based handling, you can "view new posts" and you'd still see threads which you just read a minute ago. You can also be subscribed to a thread, but it doesn't show as new when you go to usercp - you have to go to the subscriptions list to see if it has been updated. With the database based handling, when you "view new posts" you'll only see threads you haven't read, or threads that that have been active since the last time you read them. When you go to usercp, you will always see your new subscribed threads there, until you actually read them.

With the default, it is unpredictable when things will be marked as read automatically - if you access the site then leave without reading anything, everything will be marked as read a few hours after you leave. With the database option, things are only marked read when you actually read them, or when you click "mark forums read" under the quicklinks menu.

One catch: We use today's posts on OC, which shows search.php?do=getdaily results - everything from the past 24 hours. Most sites use new posts by default, which shows search.php?do=getnew results - everything the member hasn't yet read, regardless of if its 2 hours old or 10 days old.

The threads aren't marked as read after I've actually read them. That's why I don't like this system. OK, I can double click, but it shouldn't be necessary. It just means more work for me.

Agreed. Can't stand it either. Always have to 'mark as read' = PITA:p

Edited by Mr.Scott

The threads aren't marked as read after I've actually read them. That's why I don't like this system. OK, I can double click, but it shouldn't be necessary. It just means more work for me.

Do you mean the subforums rather than threads? They can be automatically marked as read, these are the options an admin can select from:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2) Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

For the subforums to be automatically marked, option 3 would need to be configured.

I like the way it is now. As somebody who doesn't visit back on a strictly daily basis, I found I was missing out on a lot of threads, even if I waited too long when browsing through new posts they would just dissapear.

Liking it now, I get to see everything (or atleast a large portion of it) since I last visited. :D