HWBOT Community Forums

Radeon HD 7970 OCP Mod released by phil from HWBOX.gr

mortisboy

Source: Radeon HD 7970 OCP Mod released by phil from HWBOX.gr

We all know phil and the fact that he managed to achieve several great scores with his Radeon HD 7970. Today, we are proud to be the world's first who reveal the new OCP mod for the HD 7970. So far it looks like it was a well kept secret, but phil thought was right to reveal it to us and then, to everybody else! Congratulations phil for figuring out the mod. We sincerely wish that everybody overclock their HD 7970 cores at 1700MHz or even more MHz - these cards do have amazing overclocking potential.

Does the mod work? Of course! Before the mod, phil's HD 7970 could only bench 3DMark 11 up to 1550MHz core. After the mod, without pushing it much, it's already up to 1620MHz for 3DMark 11, and still has more potential!

Well done phil, well deserved my friend!

PS : With this mod, also Vdroop is being eliminated

114f1fc7fa35630.jpg

My interpretation is that it's 47K per phase. Same idea as the G80 & G92 OCP. The easiest way to do it is probably to tie all components together at one end and send them to ground. There should be ground spots nearby to offer a second method of soldering.

Please can you measure the resistance of each spot, Thomas? That should tell us. If it's a fairly large value for each spot, then it's deffo one mod for each phase.

NONE OF THIS IS CONCRETE, I HAVE NOT DONE THIS MOD OR EVEN SEEN A 7970

Edited by K404