HWBOT Community Forums

The case of the Lock-16X - What The F?

Massman

Alright, seeing more and more people report having boards stuck at 16x CPU ratio. I, myself, have had two boards with this issue:

- Z77A-GD65: still stuck at x16

- Z77X-UD3H: after night of drying out back to functioning normally

I've heard reports of people having this issue with the Gene V too, so it doesn't seem to be a specific brand issue.

What happens?

16x.jpg

Well, essentially, your board gets stuck in 16x CPU ratio and will not allow any other multipliers to be set. With the GD65 I'm stuck at 16x whenever I'm increasing the CPU Vcore, but the board works perfectly normal without overclocking. With the UD3H I got totally stuck at 16x, but after a night of drying out, the board went back to normal life and is doing all multipliers again.

In both my cases, the lock appeared following a hard crash at 6.7G+ PI-32M. With the UD3H, I could actually notice the CPU going to 16x during the PI loops as up until loop3 all times were normal, but loop4 was incredibly much slower.

So, why does it happen?

No idea.

Is there a fix?

Yes, there is a temporary fix for this problem

I've verified this issue with the help of Massman on MSI Z77A-GD65. Also found a temporary solution, apparently if opening ThrottleStop 4.0 in Windows makes the multiplier jump back up. Can someone please verify this on their board?

Just confirmed the solution on my board here at home. Using:

- Z77A-GD65

- Bios V10.5b3

- ThrottleStop 5.00 b1 (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/ThrottleStop.shtml)

Board boots in at 16x, enabling ThrottleStop makes it jump up to 45x (as set in BIOS).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have actually not had this happen at all. Perhaps it has to do with insulation. Maybe the CPU and some of its SMD components get shorted??

I have benched for long hours and with a lot of boards, and none of them went to 16x. But I also haven'ted used retail.

Prob Intel's fault.

Pretty crazy stuff. So the MSi board never went back to normal? I am interested to know how many people this has happened too.

You should actually suppose that Intel learned their lesson from the last chipset disaster ;) Or it could just be a general CPU issue. I mean, everybody was crying already at 32nm Sandy and 1,7V. Now we are at 22nm and 1,9V+. On the other hand, it really seems to be the boards fault... Concerning the fact that some boards still run fine @stock, also could be a software problem eh?

Edited by Masterchief79

No troubles here with Maxiumus V and P8Z77-V.

Benched for about 5 hours with both cards full pot.

Sometimes hard locks on both boards, but could reboot.

Sometimes I do get 00 after a few hours, but I guess it's condensation at that time.

Edited by Gamer

I haven't had any 16x issues, but my Z77A-GD65 got stuck at 39x for a while today.

Cause of the problem .. benching with 1-core and then crashing to full shutdown.

Easy fix is to bench with 2 cores, and set windows to only use 1 core. Obviously only if the first core is better then the others..

Z77A-GD65 was working perfectly reset bios to stock before the end of the session now it is stuck at MAX 39x

Tried to flash 10.3 and 10.5, removed OC profiles, reset with jumper, bios a bios b, new chip old chip same story.

OCGene max is now 37x. was 42x

eish!

Z77A-GD65 was working perfectly reset bios to stock before the end of the session now it is stuck at MAX 39x

Tried to flash 10.3 and 10.5, removed OC profiles, reset with jumper, bios a bios b, new chip old chip same story.

OCGene max is now 37x. was 42x

eish!

Tried using 2 cores again?

With the Giga boards I'm always booting up at 39x when using 1 core (after crash). Just using software to go up in OS works fine.

Tried using 2 cores again?

With the Giga boards I'm always booting up at 39x when using 1 core (after crash). Just using software to go up in OS works fine.

yeah, 1core, 2 cores, 4 cores, HT on HT off. Its not an issue anymore the board no longer works. It just gives a d3 (or 3d cant remember exactly) post code now.

Oh yeah one other thing to note. The Blue LED next to the bios was on for both bios A and bios B

Not z77 board but we had X79 GD65 wich is now stuck max 45x multi. All lower works but not any higher -.-

And mine Z77 GD65 is stuck at post code 55. First it worked well and bootet to windows, ran some superpi with safe clocks and crashed. Newer boot again. Il check it tomorrow again if it suddenly works. Tested every other parts and they work. It just wont give enough volts to memory (only 0.4v measured). Tryed both bioses too (newest beta and stock)

so no scores for this weekend just as i feared with one board :D

Alot have the 55 postcode bug my teammember ZZolio have 2 of those 55 postcode mobos

We have tryed anything but it wont come to life maybe we have to find the chip that deliver the voltage for the mem and mod it to higher vmem?

Il check my cpu pins again, already did it once and didnt see anything special.

Splave: I had really loose timing and only 2000-2100 speed -.- I suppose that 0.4volts only for memory is the only reason why i have that 55 code.

Edit: No pins bend or nothing. still same 55 code bootloop. Would be nice to know what causes this effect, impossible to bench moa IF next stime board does same thing :D

Other strange thing is that board itself flashed 'backup' bios when i tried to put my air cooled memory settings few times. Just booted few time and then suddenly "Flashing backup bios 0%" etc..

Wouldnt just "overclocking failed" message be enough :S

Edited by sember