HWBOT Community Forums

Pi-Fast tweak discussion

Guest John Lam

Guest John Lam

Hi, This is John from HKEPC Hardware, I would like to share my PI-Fast tweak method and welcome for discussion.

When I run Pi-fast , All services are disable and no driver I have installed. using Default VGA but it is too slow when update the screen.

So , I hide the screen display during computation , a small DOS command method.

This is my pi-fast.bat below:

@echo off

echo Running Hexus Pifast to 10M places...

choice /C 12 /M "Press Alt + Enter into full screen mode , choice Run (1) or Result (2)"

:1

launcher z:\pifast41.exe < hexus.txt > z:\result.txt

:2

type z:\result.txt

echo Jot down your results or take a screenshot :)

pause

1. Full screen Command mode in XP is faster.

2. I put pifast program into a Microsoft native ramdrive and save result into the same place too.

3. when pi-fast is running , > result.txt is same as silent mode and the result will display after pi calulation finished.

4. launcher.exe is a small program set pifast41.exe to realtime

5. I prefer Microsoft native ramdrive which can download in MSDN Tech site, make sure your memory is stable enough, sometime it will lost some char or not fully overwrite the new result into result.txt. (P.S : Check your result everytime)

6. for safely , I am seeking another ramdrive program which is fast and light, Micrsoft native ramdrive is too dangerous.

7. this method help for 0.01 or 0.02 sometimes.

8. tcwl is very important for pi-fast, but lower tcwl vaule make system very unstable.

For my story , I used a very aggressive memory setting , when I benching in 40 x 114 , everything is alright.

so I target to 62 x 114 and run the batch file , suddently it pop out 1 mins shutdown message and show memory write error message, even the result display 10.26s , but 1 char missed.

so I downclock to 40 x 111 and press "2" in the batch file , the result.txt cannot fully overwrite and leave (~00.01) in the result.. T.T"

even MS native ramdrive is buggy, it still my first choice right now , If you use hide methold, double check your screenslot everytime.

for the buggy screenslot , I feel very sorry and I will rebench pi-fast later.

Edited by John Lam

• Crew
Now that's a cool picture Mafio :nana: I luv it !

Await the final judgement lads, no need to pull this out of proportion... it's just a hobby, no need to spill blood, that's Chuck Norris his role...

a hobby that can get you free trips that cost thousands of dollars and get jobs and money and hardware :P

Why on earth do we have to post official news regarding this case on a daily basis? Should be more than good enough to make a statement when we're done - which is not the case right now.

Thumbs DOWN.

Not trying to be a hater but, it would seem the evidence is quite obvious. I would assume the penalty would be quite obvious also. It shouldn't take that much effort...........unless you're waiting for the check to clear.

Edited by Mr.Scott

He made this thread, the first post contains a few "tricks" which could (according to him) explain this. If he posts solid evidence that his unstable setup indeed can produce these errors, then I guess it's fine? I've never seen anything like this before, but it would be a bad idea to use the banhammer if he could indeed prove that he's innocent.

Why on earth do we have to post official news regarding this case on a daily basis? Should be more than good enough to make a statement when we're done - which is not the case right now.

Thumbs DOWN.

dude, i just said i was waiting... i never said hurry up. im not an involved party so this is nothing more than entertainment to me :P

so.... chill, dont take offense as none was ment. i know you guys will make a decision when you make a decision, thats fine but this is like watching commercials right before some dude gets his head blown off and im just yelling at the tv.

Edited by zeneffect

Final decision will be done on Monday. The crew who handle this issue needs to wait his response first and then check all possibilities.

My personal opinion is, that the case is quite clear, but let's hope there will be some miraculous explanation for this.

I just need to ask why? After all these years, you would think these issues would disappear, but no.

Not trying to be a hater but, it would seem the evidence is quite obvious. I would assume the penalty would be quite obvious also. It shouldn't take that much effort...........unless you're waiting for the check to clear.

Well you are right but we are treating everybody equal. No matter if high ranked or not. So he has the chance to explain everything.

Shouldn't be a problem if we take few days for the decision :)