HWBOT Community Forums

Short report about Asus Maximus III Formula vs. Extreme

SoF

Hey guys,

sorry if I keep it a bit short without many pictures, I am still a bit done from 5 days of Cebit 2010 ;)

Thanks here again for all I've been talking to there - hope to see you soon again without beeing busy benching and "figuring it all out" the entire time :P

Asus Maximus III Formula

- very good 1m Efficiency

- very predictable

- high bclk (260+ 3D with 1.25 PCH and 1.48 IMC) and QPI (4600+) under cold

- PostCard recommended

- ROG Connect not entirely working with 1305 (should work with new) some voltages and sometimes bclk was not shown correctly

- CPU vcore OVP 1.9V which can't be disabled in Bios with 1305 - won't boot when bios vcore (VID) is set higher 1.900

- maybe try flashing MIIIE Bios to MIIIF for getting that option?? try at your own risc of course but due to a special bios recovery feature that shouldn't be a problem at all - wish I had the other bios before and knew about...

- ColdBug Mod: Official Asus statement at AwardFabrik

- depending to chip, vpll (lower is sometimes better) and QPI -125 to -140°C CBB and -150 to -155°C cb

my best 1m on it - wish I had the time to try hard on extreme too (2V was a goal of mine :P )

1M_6_500s_small.jpg

Asus Maximus III Extreme

- very predictable

- very good effeciency in 05 with multi-cards

- high bclk and qpi (260+ 3D with 1.25 PCH and 1.48 IMC) and QPI (4600+) under cold

- PostCard recommended

- ROG Connect entirely working, setting voltages, starting, rebooting via Laptop was really cool - once you use it, you don't wanna miss it

- doesn't cost any performance!

- OVP 1.9 can be disabled in Bios with latest bios --> no limites here :woot:

- ColdBug Mod: fourth from the left at the down left side of the socket where the usual resistors are (8 in a row iirc) - measure for 750 ohms

- depending to chip, vpll (lower is sometimes better) and QPI -125 to -140°C CBB and -150 to -155°C cb

this board gave us 05 dual gpu wr and screamed for a third one but unfortunatly we just hadn't the time - anyway was great fun to test the hell outa these boards. great pieces of hardware I can only say :cool:

regards

SoF

Edited by SoF