HWBOT Community Forums

NVIDIA GTX 480 Voltage Modifications

Yes, be excited now :D

Actually I'm still in the process of finding the damned data sheet of the controller used on the reference GTX 480's, CHiL Semiconductor's CHL8266.

If you know somebody who can get the datasheet please ask him to give it to us so we can figure out all the mods.

I think I found the OCP mod, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't know if the pin configuration of the 8266 is the same as 8316's, so I'm not going to post it before I get a confirmation myself or from a brave friend :P:

Some good news, it looks like the CHL8266 is fully programmable via SMbus ( VID, OCP, OTP, OVP ), so if somebody with the necessary coding knowledge can pop in here we'll be able to change the Vgpu, the OCP and OTP & OVP on the fly via software.

Update 07/14/2010

No GPU OCP/OVP Firmware

You can disable OCP via software ( flash the CHL8266 controller with a modified firmware which disables OVP & OCP ) [ you still need to do the MEM OCP mod, this disables the OCP for the GPU core only ].

No need to run GPU-z and co, just flash the CHL8266 once and you're done forever :)

You'll find the necessary files and instructions in the linked RAR archive file:

CHiL 8266 Disabled OCP Firmware - Download from BenchZone

CHiL 8266 Disabled OCP Firmware - Download from RapidShare

Cold Slow Bug BIOS fix

Thanks to George "Hipro5" T. the Cold Slow bug fix is out in the wild.

Flash your card ( info in READ ME FIRST.TXT ) and enjoy.

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Cold Slow Bug BIOS Fix

OCP hard mod *not tested yet though, the risk is yours*

13yl2yq.jpg

original photo courtesy of TechPowerUp.com

No OCP, No OVP ( Unlocked Voltage adjustment ) BIOS & Tool

Download from: BenchZone or RapidShare

-- if a manufacturer wants to f* with somebody f* with me, come on ;)

Summary, added 07/14/2010

To sum things up, if you want to do some extreme overclocking with a GTX 480 all you need to do is:

1) Flash the card with the ColdBug fixed BIOS ( BIOS #1 by Hipro5 ) [ download links above ]

2) Flash the CHL8266 controller with the No OCP/OVP firmware ( BIOS ) [ download links above ]

3) Do the Cold Boot Bug ( CBB ) mod as illustrated by Kinc ( mod guide pictures to be added in this post later )

4) Do the Vgpu ( GPU Core Voltage ) mod as illustrated by... numerous people ( mod guide picture to be added in this post later )

*You might have to do the MEM OCP mod, it's a hit 'n' miss thing, some people need it, some don't* ( mod guide picture to be added in this post later )

Enjoy!

Edited by BenchZowner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To sum up. What you need to mod your GTX 480's is:

Hipro5 bios #1

A person is a legend only if his peers consider him to be a legend. Hipro5, George for the friends, Devil for the enemies, is one of those people. Whereas numerous manufacturers and top overclockers have kept the GTX 480 cold-slow fixing bios to themselves, be it for valid or invalid reasons, this man stepped up and released it to the big public.

Needless to say the bios works and will give a lot of overclockers a break from fighting with the cold-slow problem.

Link to download: here

~ [/url]

Kinc's hardmod modifications

The BIOS fixing the coldslow issues was part one of mission "GTX 480 full throttle" and just a few minutes ago part two has been published. This time not originating from sunny Greece, but from the cold, snowy Nordic country of Sweden, home of another overclocking Legend, Kinc. In fact, this originates from the labs of ASUS which deserves a few rounds of applause for this, dispite of not being an HWBOT partner (*wink*).

In any case, here are the modifications ... have fun!

http://hwbot.org/blog/wp-content//mem_mod_gtx4801-150x150.jpg

http://hwbot.org/blog/wp-content//gpu_mod_gtx4801-150x150.jpg

~ http://hwbot.org/article/newsflash/632_..._and_is_now_ready_for_real_overclocking

And a software overvoltage tool such as Afterburner

• 4 weeks later...

You can disable OCP via software ( flash the CHL8266 controller with a modified firmware which disables OVP & OCP ) [ you still need to do the MEM OCP mod, this disables the OCP for the GPU core only ].

No need to run GPU-z and co, just flash the CHL8266 once and you're done forever :)

You'll find the necessary files and instructions in the linked RAR archive file:

Updated the first post too.

Updated the first post too.

Nice, thx bz :celebration:

I have done OCP/shutdown mod as shown by Kinc.. and get no GPUv ...? GPU gets real hot though..just wondering if any others have had similar experience... I have only removed the 3x resistors needed ..no other mods performed yet, and still not functional... ?!!

Sorry, forgot to add this to the post, most of the times you need to define a target device ( which device to flash ) by using the -t switch

So try chlflash -t chl8266 chillocp.txt

hey bz

i thought i was going crazy while trying to flash the chil yesterday im glad you have posted this here :) so i can reply atm your banned on the xsys so could not reply to you

i have made .bat files to run the commands

(backup.bat)

chilflsh -t CHL8266 -b SaveSettings.txt

(mod.bat)

chlflash -t chl8266 chilocp.txt

(restore.bat)

chlflash -t chl8266 SaveSettings.txt

im sure with the addtion of choise.com i make this in to a menu like my 5870 bios flasher

you think it would be worth it ?

oh and thanks for the files so far :)

Edited by Evocarlos