HWBOT Community Forums

MOA 2013 under my view

rbuass

Master Overclocking Arena Qualifier 2013 from my view

I believe all overclockers, can consider as the most important Overclocking Competition ever, since join since 2008, the elite of not full sponsored* guys (*by motherboard/vga);

I could participate 2009 (Beijing), 2010 (Taiwan), 2011 (Vegas) and 2012 (Taiwan), and can assure that is really a very nice event.

In 2013, most overclockers believed that MSI not carry over the event as it is a very high cost, but different than most thought, MSI decided to again hold the event in 2013, with some modifications.

All accompanying actively overclocking at HWBOT, know that now, only 4 overclockers around the world (in my case, only 1 for Americas), will have a guaranteed spot in the final, in Taiwan.

So after officially announced and published its rules, every overclocker can adapt according his conditions, the strategy to try to win.

In my case, I had no good processors, but only a medium 3960X and 3770K, that maybe they could not allow myself to get to the finals.

But, I had a crazy 1760/1960 Mhz Lightning, what I believed put me in front line to reached my goal.

I thought that if I could not get the 1st place, will need to input again lots of effort, money and time, since here in Brazil, LN2, hardware and also my time, will cost a lot to me.

So, I postpone to started to fight about 10 days to deadline, and as everybody knows, sandybagging is usual.

According my way of view, would need to compete against great overclockers, also, people from Canada and mainly USA.

Also, could see the great job from Splave with his crazy 7 Ghz Ivy Bridge, and 57X Sandy-E, and also Gunslinger with much better chips, make me so far to be close, and let me go think about to win 3D and only try to do a good job in 2D.

So, the bad trip...

Inexplicably my Lightning did not work. The last time I had used, she did a fantastic result, reaching 1760/1960 Mhz, and now, she just did not care anymore.

Immediately a ?shower of cold water ", changed my plans.

If you were in a country where hardware is accessible to all, it was easier, but I could not find any other Lightning.

Also I could not find a Big Bang XPower II and only got a GD65 because a friend brought me from an importer, for no less than U$ 700.

So, atm, I just have weapons to do medium 2D scores, and need to got a good HD 7970 to have chance.

There were two ways to proceed. Give up trying to win in the qualifiers, or go ahead to pro hard way using a reference card (luckily, due to the launch of the GTX 770 and GTX 780, there are offers from people selling HD7970 for a decent price, USD 600 to USD 650, the Standing in Brazil considered a good price.

I chose the second option, bought a reference HD7970 and just as I had done before the release of the non-reference cards, made a Frankenstein card.

The card ? (11 trimpots (PLL, RAM, GPU, OCP); added 10 tantalum caps; changed the stock mosfets to a Lightning mosfets ; added one more extra phase (stock = 5 phases and now 6 phases); control panel to measure voltages; XOC MSI BIOS:

41615642.jpg

75070967.jpg

63671724.jpg

44351296.jpg

86088905.jpg

34276757.jpg

65558424.jpg

The scores:

moaaaaaaapublicar.jpg

moa20136197final.jpg

Also, I worked to get the better efficiency that?s was possible, since my CPUs did not help to win:

publicarmelhorresultado.jpg

And the regular score to Cinebench, where CPU could not go more. Even to lit bit more than 5500 Mhz, could find good efficiency.

cinebenchpublicar.jpg

Thanks to: Corsair and 3DTeam X5

**Also to all many overclockers and friends that inspired and encourage me to keep working.

Best wishes.

rbuass

Edited by rbuass

First thing - gratz, but... Ronaldo, how many times you will write how low money you earn in Brazil, how shit country it is? I saw you few times in Taiwan where you bought hell amount of hardware for the same level of money. Just from my pov something is wrong when I'm reading your posts for a really long time and when I saw what you are doing.

First thing - gratz, but... Ronaldo, how many times you will write how low money you earn in Brazil, how shit country it is? I saw you few times in Taiwan where you bought hell amount of hardware for the same level of money. Just from my pov something is wrong when I'm reading your posts for a really long time and when I saw what you are doing.

Tks guys.

You don't need to spend your time to read Ryba.

Its not to offend you or nobody.

• Crew
I don't mind about what you think... I think different.

Dear rbauss I think you are a great guy but the way you handled this moa was bad taste. You always complain about the situation and how hard it is yet you win anyway. You're a great bencher so just bench, you don't have to tell us how hard it is we all experience the same. You posted in splave results saying "Weldone bro I'm sure u will go to final" while you already have sick scores on the orb. It's just not nice sportsmanship.

That said I'm really impressed about this result and system, you truelly deserved this result as an over clocker, just next time we can do without the fluff :P. goodluck at moa man!

Edited by Vivi

Mate....the reason of the topic is not to complain....but to tell about how difficult was to get it...

Since to have my golden card death without no reason.... To look for PC parts and do the hardmods

Not intention to offend or complaining about the situation...

I really feel happy and consider that all effort was necessary...not only to me, but for all overclockers that intend to be there

Dear rbauss I think you are a great guy but the way you handled this moa was bad taste. You always complain about the situation and how hard it is yet you win anyway. You're a great bencher so just bench, you don't have to tell us how hard it is we all experience the same. You posted in splave results saying "Weldone bro I'm sure u will go to final" while you already have sick scores on the orb. It's just not nice sportsmanship.

That said I'm really impressed about this result and system, you truelly deserved this result as an over clocker, just next time we can do without the fluff :P. goodluck at moa man!

Not really Vivi.... Since Splave has unbeatable 2D... I did not understand that he could not get better score in 3D...Also did not understand that I could get 3rd place with a weak Cinebench...Also I though that Gunslinger has better Spi than mine....there were many scores involved...also many overclockers that could be participated... But not do it

Also....who knows about how many sandbaggers and scores....I hope you understand...

Edited by rbuass

Ronaldo my friend I always admire your results, your effort you put into results and I understand your situation in your country. In Poland it's better, but not much better in fact. It's very unfair that in some countries there is no support at all and in others some ocers are sponsored totally, achieving in fact not good results lol :D

Personally, I think you are the best private, nonsponsored OCer ever :) Keep pushing. I am so glad we will meet again in Taipei :)